Ray Tracing and Camera Views

Marina_R

Hi, I need to render a kitchen and a master bath, however my renderings turn out really "fake". It doesn't look as real as I want it to be. the camera view always stretches the walls and my doors and windows look stretched. Is there a setting that I can do to create the camera views more realistic? Seems like I tried everything, but haven't figured it out yet.

Also, any rendering tips that make it look more realistic?

The two camera views, do you notice how the refrigerator is stretched out and the fireplace wall as well? Also, do you see the white line where the ceiling breaks with the wall, how do I get rid of that? The ray traces - the lighting is too bright, I tried to lower the  intensity, but it would either remove the light completely, or still be as bright. And the materials look bleh, maybe I am applying the materials the wrong way? I know its fuzzy, I turned off ray trace earlier. I didn't like how it was turning out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Fair Oaks Kitchen4.jpg

Fair Oaks Kitchen.jpg

it would be a good idea to add a signature to your profile so people know at least what version you are using , and the other advise is , if at all possible to post the plan so people can play with it and offer a possible "fix".

If that is X9 then the Corners issue I was told is to do with the Ambient Occlusion setting and Bloom as lighting is done differently in X9 , though Nvidia Control Panel says Chief X9 does not support ambient Occlusion when i try to set it there as On under Programs. ( I can turn it on under Global though , where it is Off by default)

I am no expert , Chiefer (Jintu) maybe able to help if he sees this post but attached should be a PDF of Raytrace Settings I have gathered here on

the Forum the last few years that might help too.

Capture.JPG

Raytrace Settings-Forum Notes.pdf

Id also make sure you've seen renderings from Chief (and only Chief) that you want to emulate.  Frankly, i've not seen anything rendered in Chief alone that looked real.  Its not a knock on Chief as other apps that specialize in rendering have gotten to be really really good.  For a packaged product Chief does fine - but its not "real".

I do think Chief could help us by making better go-betweens for these 3rd party apps.  V-ray is one of the best.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/gallery

10 hours ago, Marina_R said:

johnny, they don't offer a V-ray for chief? Right?

MarkMc, my field of you is 50, which i always use because that is the best that I could do to have what I want in the picture.

Although the DBX may show that, I believe that if you move a placed camera using the mouse scroll wheel the field of view changes but it does not change the DBX default setting. The DBX setting is the field of view used when the camera is first placed, you can uncheck this and manually set it.

16 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Might be filed of view- default is 55, is it something else?

I think Mark has it right regarding everything looking "stretched out". Here's a an interior with the Field of View set to the default 55:

fov55.thumb.PNG.555ca4f9bebab7822afdac124bf395bf.PNG

...and the same camera with the FOV set to 100:

fov100.thumb.PNG.f166ea53c4fb63b5825433b07031e99d.PNG

Regarding your other issues, do as Kbird suggested and post the plan.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Although the DBX may show that, I believe that if you move a placed camera using the mouse scroll wheel the field of view changes but it does not change the DBX default setting. The DBX setting is the field of view used when the camera is first placed, you can uncheck this and manually set it.

I use the scroll wheel all the time and don't get that happening. I assume it is a setting somewhere but I can't find it??. Help says

Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out in all view windows. Scrolling the mouse wheel one click up or down zooms in or out, centering on the location of your pointer and changing the zoom by about 10%.

By default, zooming in 3D views changes the camera’s position. 

5 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I use the scroll wheel all the time and don't get that happening. I assume it is a setting somewhere but I can't find it??. Help says

It may depend if you are in PCM (perspective crop mode) , the default shortcut key is P but you can also access via 3D>Camera View Options

I generally use the arrow keys and LRUD keys to move around  along with Mouse Orbit as the scroll wheel zoom can get crazy at times depending on the Crop mode...

Mick.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

It may depend if you are in PCM (perspective crop mode) , the default shortcut key is P but you can also access via 3D>Camera View Options

I generally use the arrow keys and LRUD keys to move around  along with Mouse Orbit as the scroll wheel zoom can get crazy at times depending on the Crop mode...

Mick.

Hmm, toggled that off and on and it doesn't appear to affect the foreshortening?. Wonder if it is a setting in my mouse instead? The only other setting I've found says it's for 3D mice.

Have you tried setting the camera to a 35 degree f.o.v.?

Might look more normal to you and less "fish-eye."

Except that all the pro photographers doing interior shots   for magazine and real estate are shooting using wide angle lenses. Seeing all those photos causes one's eye to "normalize" a wide angle view.

We don't see things in wide angle.  Our eyes give us a "normal" view close to what a 35 deg. FOV lens renders.  But our eyes scan, and our brain links the scanning to give us panoramic views.

11 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

We don't see things in wide angle.  Our eyes give us a "normal" view close to what a 35 deg. FOV lens renders.  But our eyes scan, and our brain links the scanning to give us panoramic views.

I was curious so I checked around just a little- what I found says 55 degree FOV for the human eye.

Still haven't figured out why I don't get the distortion using the scroll wheel (but happy about it) Read through reference manual this morning. I know that I had this problem prior to X8.  I also have one plan where I have trouble, will try and dig that out to see what is different.

I use the "use mouse with camera" is the only thing I can think of- usually with full camera or perspective floor overview.

Still haven't figured out why I don't get the distortion using the scroll wheel (but happy about it) Read through reference manual this morning. I know that I had this problem prior to X8.  I also have one plan where I have trouble, will try and dig that out to see what is different.

Mark,

In previous versions we had the setting to Zoom Using Field of View, which is no longer available.

I think that was dropped in X8.

The scroll wheel now zooms by moving the camera in and out unless Perspective Crop Mode is toggled on, in which case the camera does not move, only the screen image zooms in and out with the scroll wheel and field of view doesn't change.

15 hours ago, glennw said:

Mark,

In previous versions we had the setting to Zoom Using Field of View, which is no longer available.

I think that was dropped in X8.

The scroll wheel now zooms by moving the camera in and out unless Perspective Crop Mode is toggled on, in which case the camera does not move, only the screen image zooms in and out with the scroll wheel.

Good to know Zoom Using Field Of view is gone  :)  that's the setting I used to avoid in X6 and X7 as I got crazy views and often ended up closing the window and starting again.

Mark, I assume 55° is the reverse angle for the human field of view ?  ie  it is about 125-130 degrees? which seems about right....sitting here at my desk anyway...

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Mark, I assume 55° is the reverse angle for the human field of view ?  ie  it is about 125-130 degrees? which seems about right....sitting here at my desk anyway...

Don't know but think it's just 55,?