Can I save a newer version file to an older version?

Rytikom25

• 3 years later...
On 5/25/2017 at 8:54 AM, lbuttery said:

I guess thats something to put in the suggestion box. Thanks

make the suggestion

but don't expect it to happen

Chief plans are way to complex to allow for backward compatibility

Lew

And yet Autodesk Revit figured it out... interesting.

And yet Autodesk Revit figured it out... interesting

I believe Revit etc is just cad lines

Chief is 3D 

What do you do with features that are in the newest version that aren't in the earlier version ?

just leave gaping holes ?

I believe that if it could be done then CA would do it

Lew

Lew is right.  Chief Architect is still evolving way too fast which means lots of things under the hood are going through big changes every version.  If we were to write code to take out everything that we added in the latest version, the older file would be pretty "lossy" which, in my opinion, would make it almost useless. 

Just as one example, we added tray ceilings in X12 and we had no such thing in X11.  What would we do with the tray ceiling if we wanted to write out the file so it could be read in X11?  Remove it entirely or maybe just convert it into a hole?  Take a look at all of the other things that are in the what's new in X12 list and imagine what would happen to a plan if you removed all of these things.  

On top of that, it would create a lot more work for us.  That would mean less time to implement new features for the new version.

The bottom line is it will probably not happen until Chief stops evolving so much.

For now, probably the best thing you could do is export a 2D CAD file which could then be imported into the older version (as suggested by David).  If you want the 3D model, you could always export this as well but you would lose all of the actual smart objects that you have in Chief.

6 hours ago, lbuttery said:

And yet Autodesk Revit figured it out... interesting

I believe Revit etc is just cad lines

Chief is 3D 

What do you do with features that are in the newest version that aren't in the earlier version ?

just leave gaping holes ?

I believe that if it could be done then CA would do it

Lew

Nope. Revit is 3D as well. No idea though how good or complete the backwards saving is. It's Autodesk so it can't be that good. 

How many times have any of us had to save to a previous version?  It comes down to probability of use -vs- effort to implement.

it would be nice if it could be done

there are many times or situations where this could be used

but at this time CA states it is not feasible to do either programming wise or spending resources

Lew