24/7 Tech Support

Chopsaw

Is it time to have a 24/7 Tech Support help line or is there someone who can explain this.

Layer Set.JPG

Here is my Video rant for Dermot if you are working again this weekend, which I do appreciate very much.

As already mentioned, we don't have 24/7 tech support.  We are just not that big of a company and we don't believe in outsourcing our tech support.  If we did, you would probably get far worse tech support then you do now.

Also, I don't work on weekends or respond to direct requests on Chieftalk.  Of course, by posting this on a Sunday, you know that this is not entirely true.  :) 

As far as your issue is concerned, what you are showing on your screen makes no sense to me.  You are obviously in a bad state.  The layer set drop down on your main toolbar should always match what shows in either the ALDO or the normal LDO.  If exiting Chief and rebooting the computer does not magically fix the problem, then you will need to send your plan into technical support so that we can diagnose what is going on.  It will probably take a developer working within the debugger to see what is really going on under the hood.

Fortunately because I have dealt with this issue before and I am back up and running with minimal data loss, but still frustrated because I have no idea when this will strike again or how bad it will be and also believing that this had already been fixed and it has shown up again confuses me greatly.

This is not a plan specific problem but I did save a copy of the plan file in the messed up state to send in to tech support and will continue to work with them in hopes of improving the software for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks to all who have offered support and advice as this forum is the best source for help.  I agree that outsourcing is not the solution but as the company grows maybe there is another way to provide more tech support hours for international users that could be considered.  And Dermot, thank you again for your contribution of personal time.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

...... We are just not that big of a company and we don't believe in outsourcing our tech support.  .........

Oh yes you outsource your tech support,  it is done by us poor schlubs who do not have a life.....  Glenn,  Perry,  Joe,  Chop,  Michael et al......  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dshall said:

Oh yes you outsource your tech support,  it is done by us poor schlubs who do not have a life.....  Glenn,  Perry,  Joe,  Chop,  Michael et al......  

Scott and others I along with others really do appreciate you guys doing this along with many more on here a lot of times we get better and quicker answers so thank you all 

14 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Even Microsoft does not have "24-7" Tech Support, get real.

DJP

It depends what product you're talking about.  I can tell you Office 365 has 24-7 support since the calls are forwarded to somewhere in India as the support center.

Myself, I find t he forums here to be better than any tech support i've seen. 

Not sure if this is related but ever since I moved to x9 I've had a number of exceptions in Chief when working with active layer display options.   Usually when I am just toggling layer visibility.

Once an exception occurs they become more frequent until restarting Chief.   Even with the latest 19.3.0.49 I still get this and although restarting Chief fixes it on a few occasions it has corrupted something in the plan.

10 hours ago, johnny said:

It depends what product you're talking about.  I can tell you Office 365 has 24-7 support since the calls are forwarded to somewhere in India as the support center.

Myself, I find t he forums here to be better than any tech support i've seen. 

I concur whole heartedly! I only wish I had more time spend on the forum.