How to get material list to calculate area for polyline solids

dskogg

David (Scogg),

Yes, this easily done.

I use a similar technique with polylines to get site areas and coverage, etc.

You just need to create a material using the Volume Type (I am assuming you want the material listed as a cubic area) in the ML.

Assign the material to your objects and create a ML.

You can create different materials to track different objects or actual building materials.

ie, if you want your benches calculated separately from your shelves, create 2 different materials - one for the benches and one for the shelves.

David (Potter),

Never tired that but you can open the P-solid get its volume and then multiply that by the object's length to get a total for that object.

How does that work?

The polysolid will display it's volume in the dbx, but then multiply by it's length???

Sorry, I don't get it.

To get the volume of multiple polysolids without using the ML, multiple select the polysolids and open the dbx.

The total volume of the selected polysolids is listed on the Polyline panel - even if they have different materials.

Hi glen I don't need volume but only sq ft, I show it as a counter to show it has depth in 3D view .

how would I make it a material?

in material list the counters just kind of show up, you would think they would show up with each cabinet or room? Is there a way to change how they are calculated?

David,

Ah..., so you are using a custom countertop.

You can report those in the ML as either square feet or cubic feet, depending on the material definition that is assigned to them.

how would I make it a material?

You don't make it a material, you create a material and then assign the material to the object.

The ML list then reports the quantity of that material used.

So if you assign that material to multiple objects, the ML will total the materials (either volume or area) depending on the material type (Volume or Area).

https://www.screencast.com/t/6iep6YllQN