I HATE DORMERS !!!!!

Joe_Carrick

I normally don't use Dormers ---- but for a current project I don't have any choice because they are existing.  There are a couple of projected areas like "Box Windows" that the dormers are superimposed directly above.  I can get them to work but every once in a while the side walls below the dormer get deleted by Chief (nothing that I've done) and I lose the "Room Definition".  I recreate the side walls below the roof and then a half hour later they are gone again.

There has to be a way to make those side walls permanent but I really don't know how.

I can get them to work but every once in a while the side walls below the dormer get deleted by Chief (nothing that I've done) and I lose the "Room Definition".

Hmmm, seems to be a need for room locks or wall locks ....

Chief should issue a warning before changing a locked wall or room

Lew 

Gee Joe, post the plan.  :P

I'm with DJP on this.  Get them into position then explode.

My big issue with dormers is the adjacent roof framing is ALWAYS too tight to the interior dormer wall surface by about 1/2 an inch, so bleedthrough in 3D is ALWAYS present.  The fix is WMR or polysolids.  Tedious fixes, to say the least.

4 hours ago, jcaffee said:

Gee Joe, post the plan.  :P

It probably wouldn't have helped in this case since sometimes it was OK and sometimes not.   IAE, since my Plans have a lot of macros and reference "rb" files I really can't post plans except very simple ones without any of that stuff.  It would take a lot of time to strip them down.

DJP had the answer and I suppose it should be in the Tips & Techniques Forum.  But it would be even better if it was in the Help Files.

1 hour ago, kMoquin said:

In the north-east we use dormers pretty regularly. I always build them manually.

Same here. I live in the southeast and we use dormers on many projects. I have tried to use the auto dormer feature on some occasions but usually go back to manual because of the type of struggle Joe is experiencing. The auto is just too unstable, especially in a situation where they open into a living area. I also agree with Jon - the framing usually has to be adjusted and additional WMR's or polysolids added. I will try DJP's method on the next one and see what happens - thanks DJP.

It would be nice if Chief came up with a way to lock specific areas of a plan, from transferring macro's and other things, I know I would post more plans. Maybe just a lock so you couldn't transfer anything. I have a lot of your and other macro's that I have purchased and can't transfer.