How to do flush with door cabinet fillers?

dskogg

When placing cabinets near walls or butting perpendicular against other cabinets using a full face frame cabinet it is typical to have a filler flush with cabinet door.

how is this done with ca?

it also would be nice for ca to show cabinet doors in plan, it's like they don't exist? 

David

Place filler manually, open dbx, front tab, change from blank to door panel, specify slab door. If you need them to appear seperately in the schedule you have to place as loose doors.

X9 shows doors in plan, if using that check your layer settings.

Change.png

Filler.png

Sorry, was in a hurry and gave you bad info on getting into the schedule- it has to be a cabinet to get it into the schedule. ( I have them blocked with fillers in the library.} Cabinet set at 3' deep forced to overlap the filler.

Cabinet is filler.  

Mark says "place filler manually," but in cabinets there is no filler, so you make a cabinet into a filler as he so well instructs.

I've learned something and will forevermore quit fiddling with partitions when doing fillers.

Thanks, Mark.  You are the cab guru.

8 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Cabinet is filler.  

Mark says "place filler manually," but in cabinets there is no filler, so you make a cabinet into a filler as he so well instructs.

I've learned something and will forevermore quit fiddling with partitions when doing fillers.

Thanks, Mark.  You are the cab guru.

There are fillers in the build menu, I have them set with keyboard shortcuts.

cabinet filler.png

Thanks Mark, I did not know x9 could show doors in plan.

I am connected up with a custom cabinet manufacturer and we do full house renovations. I do the as built plans in Canada then do the design and pm for the Reno.

For us this this is a standard to have these fillers flush with doors.

is this so unusual? 

If so why does ca not address this?  Without these flush fillers all cabinet jobs look amateur!

7 hours ago, dskogg said:

is this so unusual? 

If so why does ca not address this?  Without these flush fillers all cabinet jobs look amateur!

Agree, for me these are SOP but have had plenty of layouts come across my desk from others without them. I've run into so many installers who don't know what they are that I've add specific notes for overlays AND a 3D view with notes (installer on phone "the fillers are 1/4" too short", better yet they get installed in place of the fillers and clients think it's a mis-order)

I think CA deals with this just fine. What would be easier? ...

If you don't want be opening the dbx just keep them in the library. I have a several variations in the library by brand-overlay split in two to match drawer head and door height, both types with an outlet in the top for islands. It only gets messy if they need to be arch blocks, but still not too bad.

In most brands filler overlays (or build ups) need to be a separate line item in the schedule -for that drag from library, size to correct dimensions if needed, P to P move on top of the filler. If it doesn't need to be a line item add notation to the library item in the OIP -place standard fillers when working then "replace from library".

The only issue I run into with overlays or fillers is making the dimensions in the schedule read what I want to order, still no big deal.

is this so unusual? 

I hate to sound like Captain Obvious here but the short answer is because no one asked us to.  I just searched our internal database and I could not find any reports of anyone ever asking us to do this.  People ask us to do lots of things, and asking doesn't guarantee we will get to it anytime soon, but not asking probably means it's not ever going to happen.

Please remember that discussing something on this forum is not the same as making an actual feature request or reporting a bug to us.  We don't have anyone here who's job it is to read every post.  Sometimes people like myself will read random posts and comment on them when we have extra time.  We also have moderators who look for forum issues (like spam) but not program issues. If you want to report a problem to us, you should always contact technical support.  If you want to make a feature request, you should make a post on the suggestions forum here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

6 minutes ago, Dermot said:

no one asked us

I try to keep requests to things that are a matter of life and death, lead to nervous breakdowns, smashed screens or to fill in rabbit holes. ;)

9 minutes ago, Dermot said:

asking doesn't guarantee we will get to it anytime soon

like clipped corners:blink:

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

I hate to sound like Captain Obvious here but the short answer is because no one asked us to.  I just searched our internal database and I could not find any reports of anyone ever asking us to do this.  People ask us to do lots of things, and asking doesn't guarantee we will get to it anytime soon, but not asking probably means it's not ever going to happen.

Please remember that discussing something on this forum is not the same as making an actual feature request or reporting a bug to us.  We don't have anyone here who's job it is to read every post.  Sometimes people like myself will read random posts and comment on them when we have extra time.  We also have moderators who look for forum issues (like spam) but not program issues. If you want to report a problem to us, you should always contact technical support.  If you want to make a feature request, you should make a post on the suggestions forum here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

Hi Dermot, i understand maybe no one has asked, but is this not typical cabinet construction? If so why doesnt ca follow standard construction practices, if one was building a full overlay cabinet would they not have fillers flush with doors?  I have not made any feature requests, perhaps because so many do and nothing happens, does not seem worth the time.

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It's a setting in the Cabinet General Defaults.

Thanks Joe, this is awesome...not i can see where fillers need to go and gables and overhangs.

Cheers.

David,

Most Cabinet Manufacturers don't make fillers flush with the doors/drawers.  Usually they either provide the cabinet with a face-frame extension and the "flush filler" is actually an applied "slab" drawer front.  If the filler is a separate item rather than an extension, it would still be attached to the face frame flush with that, not flush with the door/drawer.

Mark's method applies mainly because that's the way the manufacturers and shops put the product together.  IOW, doing it in Chief the way it's done in real life makes sense.

31 minutes ago, dskogg said:

not i can see where fillers need to go and gables and overhangs.

note that using "paneled" or "auto panel" for a side in the dbx will NOT show in plan.

OTOH-pick the side you need, "match front", then change to "custom face", and it will show, just change the configuration of the side to suit.

left sides.png

Hmm...interesting.

I'd just use a 3" wide base cabinet that was 3/4" deeper than the others.  It would also have no doors or drawers on it.

But I haven't graduated to using schedules yet.

I agree with Mark, though, if you want it how it would be built in real life.

• 2 weeks later...

i work for a custom cabinet shop and we do whole house renovations and we apply fillers flush to doors/drawers in corners, next to walls all the time.

Maybe if you were a builder grade cabinet shop then perhaps you would not do this.

Here are an example of a some fillers we are just completing on a reno..

Once doors go on we have flush fillers to door face, looks good, maybe more than most do?

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

Here are an example of a some fillers we are just completing on a reno..

I do em differently hence my earlier reply.

I usually use overlays (aka build-up)-my most custom brand automatically makes them the proper depth to match the door. With others I have to specify that they are packed out to match door face. In ALL cases we include a reveal as if it were a door and the door profile no matter how small.

In any case- attached is a symbol I had in a library folder of stuff like this.This one is a "fixture" so to get it into the schedule you would have to block it. You could turn it into a cabinet symbol but then it will no longer be editable. Pick yer poison :)

Edit- thinking about it I likely made that symbol from a cabinet to begin with, will look for the original tomorrow, closed up for the day now. 

fillers.png

overlays.png

Filler symbol.calibz

Had a few so dug up what I had- attached plan has that symbol turned into a cabinet. Looks like I built it from psolids to begin with. So I made one from a cabinet.

Either will go in the schedule.

The one on the right that was converted to a cabinet (exported fixture symbol as DAE, imported as cabinet) can't be resized.

The center one  is a cabinet will resize BUT you also need to alter the "door" symbols used to match the size. (included on the floor)

If that degree of accuracy is not needed at the toe kick there are other ways to skin the cat- the one to the far Left.

Bep cabinet.plan