Justify Text based upon outline number...

Summers

I want to create basic detail notes and sheet notes which follow a letter or number outline.  For example:

1.  Alphabetical sheetnotes are not referenced in the plan;

Numeric sheetnotes are referenced in the plan."

The second line of text should indent flush with the first line of text.

Can this basic set of notes be created in Chief (without importing a PDF from another program)?

Also, is there any way to create columns of text?

Thanks all.

LS

13 hours ago, glennw said:

This is easy to do with Chiefs Paragraph Option settings.

Columns of text are a little harder. 

New Image_189.jpg

Yep.  There is A LOT more that can be done with the various paragraph options too.  Also, for those who don't realize this, a person can also copy and paste tables from a spreadsheet or word processor into a Rich Text box.

With regard to the columns.  Glenn is correct.  This is a bit harder but it is doable.  There are at least 3 ways that come to mind but they do all require a little maintenance and proof checking from time to time if notes are added or changed.

• Option 1:  Use multiple text boxes.   This is probably the easiest.
  • Option 2:  Use a single row table in a Rich Text box.  Fill up your first box (column) as far as you'd like and then just move to the next box to start your next column.
  • Option 3:  Use a single long text box and break it up in layout by using multiple layout boxes.  Just resize the layout boxes so that they take a snapshot of different sections of the text box and then move them so that they are side by side.   I use this method for schedules as well. 

Thanks for your help everyone, but I still haven't figured it out.  I'm using Rich Text, but I can't seem to find the solution in the Paragraph Options settings.

Michael:  You showed justified text in your post.  Did you create it by pasting from your spreadsheet or word processor, or did you create it using Chief?

Regards all,

LS

To clarify:  I created semi-justified text as Michael described, but using tabs.  It's not very neat.  I created three columns of text using multiple text boxes, which takes too long and is not very neat either.  It appears the better choice for now is to use the word processor and import a pdf.  I believe this shouldn't be necessary.

I do this just fine within chief.  I just create a new text box for the next column.  Not very intuitive on doing the indentation, bullets, alignment etc, but once you know how to do it, it's pretty easy.

Within Chief hit F1 to bring up help and search 'indent' and it will bring you to the section that shows you how to do it.

Again, new column, new text box.

9 hours ago, Summers said:

Thanks for your help everyone, but I still haven't figured it out.  I'm using Rich Text, but I can't seem to find the solution in the Paragraph Options settings.

I assume that you are referring to the numbered paragraphs.

In the Rich Text dbx, hilite the text you want the formatting to apply to.

Select Paragraph Options...Bullets...Type...select Numbers.

There is a way to do columns in a rich text box.

The text can also be formatted in many different ways.

Open Excel or another spreadsheet program.

Copy the number of blank cells you want.

Paste into a rich text box.

Or...you can do all the text in Excel and copy and paste the cells into a rich text box.

I don't know of any other easy way to get editable columns into a text box.

This is a rich text box in Chief after copying 3 rows and 2 blank columns from Excel and then all the text and formatting in Chief.

New Image_190.jpg

To me this has been a great post to follow, watching all the attempts to make it work, how some have come up with ways to work around it, how some are now experimenting, what we did so many years ago, the best we could do was to keep making suggestions on the subject, knowing we would encounter some users that see the suggestions in a negative way.

its been a good year for Chief, considering they get all of our fair and valid effort, to better the software at no cost.

Importing formatted tables and comma separated values works great to a point, once the tables are in, there's no way to delete rows or columns, to re-organize them, to insert in between, and so on. I must praise Chief here, many other big boys out there can't i.e. ArchiCAD. (However it excels in .pdf) 

Chief knows the limitations, they also know that .pdf files don't update as they should, that saving them in plan does, but loses quality (virtually unreadable). The text in Chief is great for small tagging only, and it is widely used for that.

When it comes to legends, key notes, general notes, etc then the current text does not work in a production setup.

I never import PDF files into Chief Architect anymore. Adobe allows you to convert PDF's to a word document then I copy and paste into a text box . Any details on PDF's I convert to a DWG file and bring into Chief.

25 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

I'd like to have auto numbering callouts...or numbers that are circled or square or triangles, for key notes and schedules.  Is there an app for that? :D

Based on your enormous smile I can't be sure if you're serious or not, but I have several different options that meet this description and might be able to help you out.  I just sent you a PM.

16 hours ago, Northriver said:

I never import PDF files into Chief Architect anymore. Adobe allows you to convert PDF's to a word document then I copy and paste into a text box . Any details on PDF's I convert to a DWG file and bring into Chief.

Jeff,  It would be awesome if you were able to do a vid showing your process or better yet,  a GOTOMEETING that I would be willing to host.

• Upvote 1

You don't even have to convert to a Word document.

Open a .pdf in Acrobat Reader or any other .pdf reader.

Hilite the text, right click, Copy.

Paste into a text box in Chief.

In fact, you really don't even need to paste the text into a text box.

Just Paste it directly into the plan and Chief will automatically paste it into a plain text box.

You can then convert it to Rich Text with one click if that's what you need.

But wait!.... There's more.

If it's a .pdf of a drawing (like a survey, detail, etc) you can copy and paste directly into Chief.

During the Paste, you are asked if you want to paste it in as a Backdrop, Image, Material or Picture.

• Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, dshall said:

Jeff,  It would be awesome if you were able to do a vid showing your process or better yet,  a GOTOMEETING that I would be willing to host.

Scott, I do not know how to make a video. I am not as computer savvy as some of you guys.

The program we use to convert  DWG is http://www.backtocad.com/pdf-to-dwg-converter.html. Recognizes both Vector and Raster lines along with text. Still figuring out all the options this program offers but have limited time as of lately. I am sure the person I hired to take over my responsibilities will figure it out.

Glenn, thanks for sharing your methods and will I pass those along.