Problem with Different Ceiling heights in open floor plan

StudConstruction

On 5/16/2017 at 4:44 AM, glennw said:

Yusuf,

Just to add a little to what you have said.

It is quiet possible to change the floor/ceiling heights in a section view (similar to changing room sizes in a floor plan).

Make sure Select Room Before Wall in 3D and Temporary Dimensions are toggled on.

Generate a cross section.

Select a room and you will see its floor/ceiling platforms and a ceiling height dimension.

You can drag the floor or ceiling up or down and see what is happening.

Although you can't use the Temp Dimension to move the platforms accurately, you can start dragging and use Tab and specify a Distance to move.

Making these changes in section may make it easier to see what is going on instead of trying to change horizontal platforms (floors and ceilings) in a floor plan. 

Glenn thanks for the valuable info. That is exactly the concept I was trying to explain using the 5 room drawings on the XY plane in my post. You just picked the best fit and the whole thing comes in handy using this graphical representation. I think working with plan view using the structure dbx and watching changes happening on the platforms instantly through this graphical representation will be helpful to have full control over situations like the OP was asking.

Thanks for the tip again.

On 5/16/2017 at 3:35 PM, HumbleChief said:

Yusuf, your posts and your attitude on this forum are very refreshing and I appreciate them and your great energy very much. Having said that the fact that you just posted 3 or 4 paragraphs on how to think of Chief and the way it works 'logically' more than makes my point. There's a logic to Chief no doubt, but one that does not come to hand immediately - it has to be learned which may make it 'logical' to some and crazy making to others. I am firmly in the latter camp.

I always built from the bottom up and took that 'logic' to Chief and was thoroughly trounced by Chief's alternative 'logic'. I thought the 'logic' that the ceiling structure of floor 1 would have an effect on the ceiling framing of floor one on a 2 story building and was once again trounced by Chief's 'logic'. So is Chief's version of creating structures 'logical'? Of course it is - to the designers of the software. But that may or may not translate to the user or the user interface and in Chief's case I think they missed the UI boat in many cases. Remember these are the same folks who gave us a new feature of poly line area labels that resolved to 7 decimal places - making it completely useless - as a new feature no less (remains the same to this day BTW). Perhaps that same 'logic' is placed in too many places in Chief's UI or I just don't get Chief's version of logic.

Had another thought. If the way you've explained Chief's paradigm is indeed 'correct', knowing 'correct' is quite a subjective term, then where is this clear explanation of how Chief's structure dialog box should be viewed in Chief's literature and or training videos? Or even the structure dbx itself? There are many users who don't understand it and many that do but the 'logic' you present is not part of Chief's training or instruction - and should be IMO. 

Larry 

I can see the complications one may face in working with chiefs structure dbx. Lots of interdependency between vareous parameters inside the structure dbx makes difficult to fully understand the relationships and effects they impose on one an other. It would be great to have more intuitive way to deal with it..

Watched the video you posted using glen's tip and that is very interesting concept. It helps a lot to visualize and make changes graphically. Nice one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, solver said:

Did you reset settings in the structure to their defaults?

My apologies for getting back to you all so late, I appreciate all the input (and friendly debate :) ). This seemed to do the trick thanks so much!

On 5/19/2017 at 6:37 PM, yusuf-333 said:

I can see the complications one may face in working with chiefs structure dbx. Lots of interdependency between vareous parameters inside the structure dbx makes difficult to fully understand the relationships and effects they impose on one an other.

This is what makes Chief unintuitive in my opinion.  Add to this the fact Chief requires near perfection in the modeling of certain items to allow automation of their function...and the potential of problems multiply exponentially.  

FYI, I usually use the "Object Eyedropper" to select a room that is correct & then select the room that is not correct.

That usually fixes it for me. Note that you have to change the Room Type back if it was different.

Note that if you are fighting with the foundation about floor heights it is often easiest to delete the foundation & rebuild it.