which version needed?

sdetweil

I have been trying for a while now to find someone that can design a covered deck on my house, roof attached to roof, without success.

I finally decided to design it myself, and figure out what I can do to built it..

CA Premier trial has been amazing.. in less that 24 hours I had a reasonable design. materials list, etc.. (pics attached,roof color for visibility in design)

there are some quirks I still haven't figured out.. 

• I used my survey to layout the slab, and walls. can't get the terrain right, rear elevation is 16 inches off the ground, front at 0.
  • roof planes are a pain in the rear.. there is no snap to.. 
  • I cannot figure out how to draw the roof I have, auto generate gives me something else.. (I  am building a roof over an existing roof)
  • I somehow turned on interior dimensions and 3d perspectives but can't figure out how to turn them off
  • I have posts for the deck corners, want to add cement footing for them.. can't figure that out.
  • I want the deck to be walkout, door bottom at 16 inches from existing cement patio slab. slab, door, and deck move together or not in unexpected ways.
  • I drew this design, does CA validate anything for me?  it auto generated the roof over the new deck area, and did what I wanted, but does that mean its OK to build it like that?
    • because of the low side walls and walkout, the ceiling needs to be cathedral, so I can have a fan, I don't have a collar tie between the two outside posts (6x6)

but, i can't save, or print.  and I think I have just lost the actual design info (floor plan), but have the 3d perspective still open.

Now, what version do I need to buy.. I am just an individual.. these prices seem ok if you are a business of doing stuff like this.

2017-05-13 (9).png

2017-05-13 (11).png

2017-05-14 (5).png

2017-05-14 (4).png

Edited by sdetweil
change price info

I'm shocked by the problems your having.  Usually 1 day is plenty of time to become an expert with a high level architecture program.  I would call tech support right away, there must be something wrong with the program.

• Downvote 1

Architectural does NOT allow manual editing of framing members at all, so for your purposes I can only recommend Home Designer Pro which does allow manual creation of both framing and roof planes. Unless you can do both of those you have no chance of obtaining an accurate Materials List. do not waste your time and money on anything but HD Pro.

DJP

48 minutes ago, javatom said:

I'm shocked by the problems your having.  Usually 1 day is plenty of time to become an expert with a high level architecture program.  I would call tech support right away, there must be something wrong with the program.

Completely uncalled for and unnecessary sarcasm. Not funny, just mean spirited.

DJP

I agree.  It probably was a little mean spirited but the point remains.  This forum keeps getting the same type of questions over and over and over.  They are BASIC functions that are learned with a variety of means like videos, trial and error.  Some of these new users are overly relying on this forum.  That is all I was trying to say.

14 minutes ago, javatom said:

I agree.  It probably was a little mean spirited but the point remains.  This forum keeps getting the same type of questions over and over and over.  They are BASIC functions that are learned with a variety of means like videos, trial and error.  Some of these new users are overly relying on this forum.  That is all I was trying to say.

Just keep in mind that new users and new forum posters are just that: "new" and do not have the foresight of a veteran. The forum is for the delivery of "Help" to others and to self, you always should try to see the other person's viewpoint and to treat others as you would like to be treated. I am not being "holier than thou" at all, I to often wish I had kept some post to myself or thought it through before speaking. No one is "perfect" and wise so you just have to make sure you do your best for self and others.

DJP

Thanks David..  I spend lots of time on different forums,and have answered tens of thousands of posts over the years. You do see waves of the same questions over time, and I try to create a positive experience, hoping the user will come back and continue.  there are others that expect and demand that users read all the acquired knowledge..

i wish we all could, just never going to happen. 

thanks also for the guidance on Arch and Pro..   indeed Arch will not let me create framing,  which is the thing I need.

and of course I cannot transfer the plan from arch  (trial) to pro (trial).. bummer..

23 hours ago, sdetweil said:

• I drew this design, does CA validate anything for me?  it auto generated the roof over the new deck area, and did what I wanted, but does that mean its OK to build it like that?
    • because of the low side walls and walkout, the ceiling needs to be cathedral, so I can have a fan, I don't have a collar tie between the two outside posts (6x6)

No, Chief does not validate anything. (Except a few code issues through the "Plan Check" tool.) You are responsible for designing your own structural members, lateral bracing, foundations/footings, connections, etc. If you don't know what you are doing, the program will help you make mistakes far faster than you ever could before.

To piggyback on Richard's comments you need to research what the local codes will require and verify that the way you plan to frame the structure is consistent with them.

It appears that the turret style roof you are showing will be vaulted on the ceiling but the material you are showing is run parallel to the roof framing, I doubt that is what you area really intending to do.

Also the wall that will be above the French doors will need to frame up to close off the existing roof above in some fashion. 

Just a couple of things I noticed.

My biggest suggestion I would offer is to use CA to get the general design down and then make sure that YOU fully understand how this will be built and what YOU want the end result to be.

Your project and experience will be much more positive in the end. ;)

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

No, Chief does not validate anything. (Except a few code issues through the "Plan Check" tool.) You are responsible for designing your own structural members, lateral bracing, foundations/footings, connections, etc. If you don't know what you are doing, the program will help you make mistakes far faster than you ever could before.

bummer.. thanks.. things to think thru.