19.3.0.49 ALDO Issues

Chopsaw

I have been having ALDO issues since Beta testing but is anyone else having problems now?  Like for instance open a blank plan and create a new or copy of a layer and then switch Layer Sets and it is not there or anywhere else you look.  Is this not the way it is supposed to work?  It works in X8.  I am trying to learn ALDO and this makes it rather confusing and hard to use. And then it show up corrupted in a couple of other layer sets 45 minutes later, so frustrating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Johnny, You are just so cute wearing that hat with the ears that I will answer that for you. ALDO ( Active Layer Display Options ) Usually found at the right side of your screen tabbed with the Library Browser and sometimes the Project Browser.

• Upvote 1

Chop, have you viewed this provided video? https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5302/active-layer-display-options-side-window.html?playlist=49

I am not sure what "issues" you may be having using what is merely a productivity tool, can you be a little more specific please? You use it or not at your choice, it does not seem mysterious to me.

DJP

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Not having any ALDO problems, and I leave it always on, on my second monitor.

It appears to me ifI use my second monitor  (IT IS A MAC),  the program slows down,  so I keep CA on one monitor.

For the ALDO,  a hot keeps brings it up,  a hot key puts it away....  is saves real estate.  I would be it takes me less time to hot key on and off versus having my mouse travel to second monitor so I do not miss the advantage of using 2 monitors.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mom's,  enjoy the Player's Championship,  and.......  I wish the Charger's were still in San Diego.

I have been having ALDO issues since Beta testing but is anyone else having problems now?  Like for instance open a blank plan and create a new or copy of a layer and then switch Layer Sets and it is not there or anywhere else you look.  Is this not the way it is supposed to work?  It works in X8.  I am trying to learn ALDO and this makes it rather confusing and hard to use. And then it show up corrupted in a couple of other layer sets 45 minutes later, so frustrating.

I have not heard of anyone else having any problems like this.  If you create a new layer in one layer set, it should show up in every other layer set, always.  And what exactly to you mean by it showing up "corrupted"? 

I would highly recommend that you work with tech support regarding these issues.  They will need a sample plan that demonstrates the problem and the exact steps you are using to see the problems.  For example, there are several different ways to create new layers so you need to be very clear about explaining what you are doing.

6 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

I am not sure what "issues" you may be having using what is merely a productivity tool, can you be a little more specific please? You use it or not at your choice, it does not seem mysterious to me.

David,  Thanks you for the video link.  I have watched it 4 times now and it does not address the issues I am having.  When as you say "merely a productivity tool" is not working as Dermot says "If you create a new layer in one layer set, it should show up in every other layer set, always." then there is no productivity in using that broken tool.

I may not have been perfectly clear in my original late night weekend posting of my frustration but this is perfectly reproducible on my system so I may make a short video here to see if anyone else can reproduce or give some insight.

Here is a quick video if you would not mind taking a few minutes to watch and test.

Forgot to mention in the video that I am also having issues deleting unused (freshly created) layers.

I have now watched the instructional video that David provided the link to 5 times and I am still not sure what "certain actions" the Modify All Layer Sets setting works for which is certainly not a useful in diagnosing a software problem or learning how to use it in the first place even if it is all functioning properly.  So I am not sure if the layer set that eventually showed up on some other layersets with different layer display properties was corrupted or was just not created with "Modify All Layer Sets" turned on or not.

Also there is no helpful information in that video in regards to creating "New" Layers or "Copy" Layers or "Delete" Layers.  "And So Forth" just does not cut it for me.

Now that I have just roasted a Chief Architect video please let me know if I missed anything critically important in my video.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Johnny, You are just so cute wearing that hat with the ears that I will answer that for you. ALDO ( Active Layer Display Options ) Usually found at the right side of your screen tabbed with the Library Browser and sometimes the Project Browser.

Thanks - I figured it was an acronym for something....now I know.

My pic is one of my fav taken of my son, who's name is johnny too.  I saw glenn put a pic of his son (or grandson, not sure how old glenn is) and thought that was a good idea.

On 5/14/2017 at 3:57 PM, solver said:

It does show under Layer Set Management in other sets.

Thank you Eric,  That may get me through as a workaround until Chief gets ALDO fixed.  Much appreciated.

I originally found the bug using the All off Set and then had no way of turning on what I had created anywhere else.

Here is another similar issue that I just recorded if anyone has had a situation like this.

Please disregard this video as Glenn has identified the problem and I have reset my default label offset so the mistake does not happen again.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

My pic is one of my fav taken of my son, who's name is johnny too.  I saw glenn put a pic of his son (or grandson, not sure how old glenn is) and thought that was a good idea.

Johnny,

It's my 1 year old grandson (I am old) - is name is Riley Fox ............ - hence the fox headgear/cape.

I just changed the picture after seeing the one you posted - more in keeping with the headgear theme.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Here is another similar issue that I just recorded if anyone has had a situation like this

Chopsaw,

I don't think that is a layer issue.

Move the post label to reveal the post underneath.

Or...turn off the Framing, Labels layer.

• Upvote 1

Chopsaw,

A bit more info on the ALDO problem.

Create a new layer with the ALDO.

Change to a different Layer Set - the newly created layer does not display.

Open the normal Layer Set Management dbx along side the ALDO.

In the normal Layer Set Management dbx, select any Layer Set, select Define, click OK without changing anything.

Notice that the ALDO now updates and the newly created layer now displays in all the other layer sets.

It's like the ALDO just needs a refresh.

Also, if you create the new layer in the normal Layer Display Options dbx, the ALDO problem does not occur.

I am thinking that this may be by design in that the ALDO is the ACTIVE layer display options and is only reporting the layer states when the dbx is first open and any subsequent changes made in the ALDO (ie, the ALDO does not update program wide, just locally in the ALDO), although my thought process is starting to get a little fuzzy!

Anyway...the lesson is that if you have the ALDO open and want to create a new layer that is seen by all the layersets in the ALDO, create the new layer in the normal Layer Display Options dbx - you can do this even when the ALDO is still open and the ALDO will update so that the new layer is seen by all layersets in the ALDO.

If I can get Jing working I will do a vid.

37 minutes ago, glennw said:

In the normal Layer Set Management dbx, select any Layer Set, select Define, click OK without changing anything.

Notice that the ALDO now updates and the newly created layer now displays in all the other layer sets.

It's like the ALDO just needs a refresh.

Thanks for looking at this Glenn,  This along with what Eric said will get me through this job.

39 minutes ago, glennw said:

Also, if you create the new layer in the normal Layer Display Options dbx, the ALDO problem does not occur.

I am thinking that this may be by design in that the ALDO is the ACTIVE layer display options and is only reporting the layer states when the dbx is first open and any subsequent changes made in the ALDO (ie, the ALDO does not update program wide, just the ALDO), although my thought process is starting to get a little fuzzy!

You may have a point here but based on the title of my post and what Dermot said along with it functioning perfectly fine in X8.  I am hoping that you are wrong.  I am assuming that ALDO is newer than Layer Display Options so possibly there is just a programming weakness in the newer ALDO if they tried to write the code more efficiently but missed something.  

Hey Chop,

I can see the confusion that happens when adding layers to the ALDO but as I remember the ALDO has always worked (badly) this way. I remember copying a layer and there was nothing that showed up in the ALDO but when checking the Layer Display Options dbx, there it was. I stopped using the ALDO to manage/add/delete Layers for this very reason. I think it should behave as you are expecting it to but it simply does not. I always use the Layer Option dbx to add and manage all my layers because the ALDO was not (for some strange reason) designed to do so efficiently.

BTW, I remember X8 not even showing the new layer in the ALDO, especially if copying a layer. One would have to go to the Layer Management dbx to see any new Layer. Very confusing then and confusing now. EDIT: I wonder if something changed over the versions of X8 because it seems to work OK now. Oh well, now I'm confused :wacko:

EDIT AGAIN: Just tried the technique you show and it works as Dermot suggests it should.  I bet you have a setting that needs changing?

Just got back to my computer after a bit of an absence and I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.  Chopsaw is 100% correct.  ALDO has NOT been working quite right in X9.  There are several little problems it seems to have that weren't an issue in previous versions.  I've reported some of them and those ones were fixed, but there are a handful of issues that still remain that are either inconsistent, difficult to reproduce, and/or not enough of a problem for me to be willing to take the time and energy to report just yet (I can only fight on so many fronts at the same time). 

This issue Chop has brought up is a prime example.  If we created a new layer using the ALDO in X8 and then switched layer sets using the ALDO, that layer was right where it should be in that other layer set.  In X9 this doesn't work correctly and is very easy to reproduce.  Hopefully you have reported this one to tech support??  I would have found this one to be worth reporting myself.  Truth is that I don't believe I ever even noticed it before now because I typically create all my new layers through the various object dialog boxes.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just got back to my computer after a bit of an absence and I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.  Chopsaw is 100% correct.  ALDO has NOT been working quite right in X9.  There are several little problems it seems to have that weren't an issue in previous versions.  I've reported some of them and those ones were fixed, but there are a handful of issues that still remain that are either inconsistent, difficult to reproduce, and/or not enough of a problem for me to be willing to take the time and energy to report just yet (I can only fight on so many fronts at the same time). 

This issue Chop has brought up is a prime example.  If we created a new layer using the ALDO in X8 and then switched layer sets using the ALDO, that layer was right where it should be in that other layer set.  In X9 this doesn't work correctly and is very easy to reproduce.  Hopefully you have reported this one to tech support??  I would have found this one to be worth reporting myself.  Truth is that I don't believe I ever even noticed it before now because I typically create all my new layers through the various object dialog boxes.

Curious as to why it worked on my computer as the videos above show? Why was i not able to easily reproduce this behavior? Did I miss something?

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I noticed Chop didn't have "Modify all layers" checked, but not sure if that means anything anymore.

Pretty sure that check box has no effect anymore and 'Modify All Layers' is set by default - I think - as Dermot stated above -  "If you create a new layer in one layer set, it should show up in every other layer set, always."

17 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious as to why it worked on my computer as the videos above show? Why was i not able to easily reproduce this behavior? Did I miss something?

You are correct.  It does seem to work just fine for you.  I can easily reproduce anyway.  Did you download the latest update?

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Did you download the latest update?

No...hmmm wonder if that's the problem? I don't use that feature much from the ALDO so it if stops working with the new update no great loss for me. I'll download when I get a chance and test it.

Larry, Thanks for the definitive testing and perfect timing as I am now forwarding this directly to tech.  And yes we have the same ALDO settings.

Perry,  My understanding is that the "Modify All Layer Sets" is for when editing Layer Display Properties- Color,Line weight etc....  Maybe ?