Outright purchase of X9

GLOBE-Res

If I buy the X9 outright for $2695 today, what happens 12 months from now?  Do I have to buy it again or can I use it as is as long as I want?

I bought version 8, then upgraded to version 9.0, then version 9.5.  I haven't needed to upgrade since.

But, my computer suffered a boot up problem because of a bad storm and I was forced to buy a new computer.

The new computer won't run the v9.5 Chief.

And to make it worse, the new Chief won't load my 9.5 projects.
I'm really ticked off.  I have a lot of projects that are now of no use.  That's so F'k up.  I can't even complete 4 projects started in Chief just in the last few months.

So, I'm forced to either buy new Chief software or go to another program.  That old 9.5 was just fine for me.  I didn't need to upgrade. 

So, If I buy the X9 this year, am I forced to upgrade or will I be able to get as many years as I want out of it?

1 hour ago, GLOBE-Res said:

So, If I buy the X9 this year, am I forced to upgrade or will I be able to get as many years as I want out of it?

Its all yours for as long as you want to,  you don't have to upgrade  if you don't want to , you are going to get X10 free upgrade 

"Do I have to buy it again or can I use it as is as long as I want?"

You will be able to use X9 as long as you want to.  This is assuming that you have a computer that will still run it.  We can't do much to make old software run on newer computer systems (that's the job of the OS) and we can't do anything to make sure your old computer will run forever.  The only thing that stops in 12 months is your first year of SSA.  The SSA program includes free upgrades, training videos, technical support, and bonus library content.  More info about the SSA program can be found here:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/ssa/

"And to make it worse, the new Chief won't load my 9.5 projects."

X9 will only read plan files that were written by version 10 and newer.  If you decide to purchase X9, tech support should be able to provide you with a solution to convert your older files though.  All you really need to do is get the X8 Client Viewer (or any other version of Chief from V10 to X8) and you will be able to open these older plans and save them in a format that X9 will be able to read.  Since they are so old, you should expect to have to do some amount of manual cleanup.  We have worked very hard to make sure that when you bring plans forward that they do so with very minimal changes but when you bring these plans forward you will have to deal with all of the minor changes that have happed over the 10 versions you missed.

• Upvote 3

• 7 months later...

I have versions 7, 9 and 10 that run on my PC, I have two hard drives, one for Windows 10 and one for Windows XP, the really old versions run on XP and Versions 11-20 run on Windows 10. It is really your choice to make. When I use old version 7, 9 or 10 I am really thankful I have the newer versions though, I have the old versions for people like you who never bothered to upgrade.

DJP