How to generate a flat soffit??

GMennie

We generally build with bottom chord bearing roof trusses, where the bottom chord extends out over the bearing wall, creating a level, flat soffit.  It seems Chief defaults to a top chord bearing truss, where the top chord runs past the bearing wall creating a raked or sloped soffit. I've attached a picture showing the sloped soffit to help clarify, along with the flat soffit picture I am trying to replicate in Chief.  There's got to be an easy way to change this, but I can't seem to find it.  Appreciate any help!

Thank you

siesta key soffit.JPG

Capture.JPG

19 hours ago, GMennie said:

thank you both, I think the 10" guess, after some quick math and a diagram was pretty dang accurate....almost exact for my 2 foot soffits.  Now I've got it!

Thanks again both!

Dont try and calculate, or you will have to calculate for each and every pitch. It's a futile approach. Also there is no rhyme or reason to that calculation. 

1) as was mentioned check "trusses" checkbox. 

2) know what your top plate absolute value is for the wall your roof sits on. 

3) in your roof dialogue box, lock your pitch and set your "top of fascia height" accordingly.  

(Of course know your fascia height in advance from the roof structure tab)

This is the most reliable way to ensure your trusses will sit on your top plate as they do up here in the north east, which is where I'm assuming you are from as well. 

This will give you a flat soffit. Also this will ensure you pick up the right elevation point when you do your storypole elevations etc...

I think the programmers of roofs in Chief all came from sunny California hence the default and useless rake system. 

Looks cute though.