Custom line styles

Mark3D

I have a layout view with a scale of 1 :1100 its a services plan drawn on a satellite image  and using my custom line type -P.- to show a power cable in my custom line settings the the P text is set at 20 mm size but it shows to small in layout when printed is the a way i can get the text bigger or is this a limit with chief

Mark:

You can create a new layer and then change the text style for that new layer.  You can do some remarkable things with well setup anno sets as well ... for many different scales and text styles to match.  Chief's out of the box layer sets and anno sets can do a lot for you if used wisely but often they just don't seem to work for everything a person wants to do so you need to start adding more to suit your needs.

There's some pretty good stuff on Chief's website on using layer sets and anno sets.  Do a search ... I recently watched a couple of good videos that Scott Harris did - if you can find them I think you'll get quite a bit out of them.

On 5/9/2017 at 4:57 PM, Mark3D said:

I have a layout view with a scale of 1 :1100 its a services plan drawn on a satellite image  and using my custom line type -P.- to show a power cable in my custom line settings the the P text is set at 20 mm size but it shows to small in layout when printed is the a way i can get the text bigger or is this a limit with chief

I just don't know why you and anybody else who needs help would not post a small plan so helpers can help you.  What is so hard to understand about that.  

I was thinking like Curt because I did not have a plan to refer to.  But after reading your question several times,  I finally figured out that changing the text style will not work,  it is the LINE STYLE you need to EDIT.  

Your problem is with the LINE STYLE you are using.  I know as much about line style as I do about quantum mechanics,  but I would bet you need to create a new LINE STYLE with the LETTER "P" at a larger size.

How is that answer for reading between the lines.

Please post plans in the future,  you will get an answer much quicker.

16 minutes ago, glennw said:

The problem Mark is having is that the create line style dbx will only accept a maximum text size of 20mm.   

Really?  WOW,  that is not good.  Another good topic for the DSHW.

I would like to create a line style with SQUARE FILLED BOXES (this is a line style I would use to show some BMP barriers)  (not 3d boxes),  but I do not think i can do that.  I think we are limited to DASHES,  DOTS,  TEXT  (20 mm max).  

I would also like to  create a line with "X's"(to designate cad drawn fences),  (I know I can use the LETTER X,  but would rather create my own "x")

Yes, we need a better "Create Linestyle" tool.  One that I was familiar with from back in the 1980's allowed:

1. a Beginning Terminator
  2. a End Terminator
  3. a Repeat Pattern

These could be made up of a selected set of Lines and Text (marque selected) which were then analyzed (left to right) and stored as available Line Style components.  I suggested this sort of Line Style tool to CA years ago but it's never percolated to the top of the list.  

I always wanted something like a whole bunch of "V's" connected together to represent metal lath for CAD details showing stone installation layers.  Maybe a line style of nothing but V's would work?  I've created the wire lath with CAD in the past.  Never had a need to mess with line styles before.  Maybe I need to check that out.  If they were close enough (almost touching) that would sure be an easy way to do it.

Scott,

This is a custom linetype using filled cad boxes.

The secret is to use a font such as Webdings to find your filled box and then place the custom line on a layer that uses that font for the layer Text Style - because a custom linetype takes it's font from the Text Style assigned to that layer.

New Image_185.jpg

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Scott,

This is a custom linetype using filled cad boxes.

The secret is to use a font such as Webdings to find your filled box and then place the custom line on a layer that uses that font for the layer Text Style - because a custom linetype takes it's font from the Text Style assigned to that layer.

New Image_185.jpg

Super,  thanks Glenn,  I will look into it when I get a chance......  I think I was thinking of using a different font that did have the filled boxes,  but I had not successfully completed the task.

Hey guys, only have a few minutes here before I need to get back to work, but a Polyline Distribution Path is a good alternative for many if not all of the challenges listed above.  Perfect?  No, but check it out...coupled with the appropriate CAD block and perhaps assigned to a custom toolbar and/or hotkey and I think it just might do what you need.  

47 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Hey guys, only have a few minutes here before I need to get back to work, but a Polyline Distribution Path is a good alternative for many if not all of the challenges listed above.  Perfect?  No, but check it out...coupled with the appropriate CAD block and perhaps assigned to a custom toolbar and/or hotkey and I think it just might do what you need.  

Yeah,  I thought of that,  might be doable......  

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yep this is exactly how I show fences, sediment fences, retaining walls etc on site plans, gives you control over the spacing of the cad block too. It works well with CAD objects but not so well with text where you have a change in direction of the line but you can adjust the spacing to suit, the new preview panel helps greatly too,

It would be handy to be able to convert the polyline to a distribution path though, you can covert one back to a polyline currently but not vice versa unless im missing something.