Drop ceiling joist direction

Larry_Sweeney

Is there a place or method, other than manually, to change the joist direction of a dropped ceiling? I thought I read a thread sometime ago that it was possible, but I can't locate it. Also, is it possible to frame a regular ceiling independently of other framing? Thanks to all for your time and advice in advance.

I would use a ceiling plane for individual rooms, for framing to go different directions, but depending on the condition, I would use the ceiling structure/ finish DBX if you are dealing a room vs. the whole floor. sometimes I want the plate height to go through the dropped ceiling sometimes not. Exactly where you place the ceiling plane line makes a difference. Whole bunch of differences matter on this. for a quick non structural method , you could just adjust the thickness of the ceiling finish, good for prelims but working drawing will require framing, then you need to use actual framing. iguess what I'm saying" it depends".

Don't have time to go over it all in detail and I'm away from my computer but here's where I would suggest you start....

-Use the ceiling FINISH and define one of your layers to be a framing material.

-Place any required joist direction arrows in the correct locations and orientations.

-Build CEILING framing

-Place new joist direction arrows for your floor framing.

-Build FLOOR framing.

-Make manual modifications as necessary.