Door jamb with no casing does not extend to wall ext

dskogg

Hi everyone, i am trying to put a transom window above a door and have no exterior casing.

Apparently ca ties the jamb to the case so if you uncheck the ext case then ca removes the jamb and the framing shows thru,,,how stupid is that?

So i tried making the case 3/4" to replicate a jamb but when i stack a window on top and try and mull window and door it will not allow me to make 

the exterior a different colour than the interior.

Seems like a defect in the program, it would allow a door without a case?

I have attached a sample plan to show.

I dont believe this was a problem in earlier editions of ca, thoughts?

door jamb plan.zip

door jamb withour ext casing.JPG

door jamb without case.JPG

Just a wild guess, but check your "Options" tab of the offending window and door and make sure it is not checked "Recessed". That is probably the cause of the unwanted framing. Look and see. BTW you tried to attach your .plan file while it was still open in Chief (which does not work). First close chief and then attach your .plan file so others can then look and see what is what.

DJP

On 5/5/2017 at 0:17 PM, dskogg said:

Hi everyone, i am trying to put a transom window above a door and have no exterior casing.

Apparently ca ties the jamb to the case so if you uncheck the ext case then ca removes the jamb and the framing shows thru,,,how stupid is that?

So i tried making the case 3/4" to replicate a jamb but when i stack a window on top and try and mull window and door it will not allow me to make 

the exterior a different colour than the interior.

Seems like a defect in the program, it would allow a door without a case?

I have attached a sample plan to show.

I dont believe this was a problem in earlier editions of ca, thoughts?

door jamb plan.zip

door jamb withour ext casing.JPG

door jamb without case.JPG

Your attached file contains no data.  You must close the file prior to attaching,   and then attach file and post.

This is a very good question.  Let's see what you have.

i did turn on exterior casing which extends jamb but when i mull window above and door then

the door jamb now turns white.

Also not every door or window needs a casing, lots of times in stucco walls there are no casing just the jamb/frame, ca does not allow the jamb to extend to exterior of wall without a jamb, in my opinion this is a software issue as it will not allow real life conditions to occur.

David