Changing floor pattern directions

Bretkennedy74

I was looking for a way to change the direction my floors are running in the kitchen. I have a room that is separated by a line divider rather than a wall. When I apply a wood floor the direction that the floor runs is not the way that I would like it to run, any way that I can change the way the pattern runs and turn it 90 degrees ?

thanks in advance

bret

I run into this every so often and the floor joist just won't change direction. I then turn off auto floor and ceiling framing and delete those floor joists and add them manually. Don't forget to use the bearing line when needed or mark a wall as bearing. Sometimes its a mixture of several tools. 

So an update. I am not sure why it is so difficult but I have tried all but the floor joist suggestions above. 

I created a new material for my tile floor. The tile is 4x40. I want to lay the tile in a herrginbone pattern. After chosing the rainbow tool, I click on the floor in the kitchen, choose the material i created in my new materials list. I then click on the floor and the floor comes up in squares. My tile is created at 4x40 I have played with the angles but nothing seems to work.

Maybe someone can point me to the tutorial that helps explain this? although I have looked at the edit materials tutorial and it doesn't seem to have what I am looking for.

thanks

Bret

So this is what I am trying to achieve in Chief. The tiles are 4x40. 

Steps so far.

1. capture picture for the pattern I wanted to use with chief which is the second picture of the smaller gray herringbone

2. create new materials

3. name and scale.

From the link above that solver gave me with the tutorial for capturing textures, she somehow was able to cut the pattern down so that when it repeated it was as if it just kept going. That is essentially what I am trying to do here, but with the longer tile. 

I am using PNG files but they 'are' showing up in chief. is that going to affect it in any way ?

thanks again

herringbone I want.jpg

gray herringbone.gif

And i guess the next question is, if I find the correct pattern, and I want to use different materials to see what they all look like, I would need to create a specific material for each of those tiles. Meaning I would need to find a finished floor with each of those tiles in that pattern to create the material.

I would have thought that there was a way to paint a material onto an existing pattern to see what different materials would look like if put in that pattern. Is that not possible?

bret

12 minutes ago, Bretkennedy74 said:

I would have thought that there was a way to paint a material onto an existing pattern to see what different materials would look like if put in that pattern. Is that not possible?

That type of function is not built into Chief, with the normal tool options you must have a separate texture image for every combination of texture and pattern, that's why there are so many tiles in the library. The only thing you can do is change/blend the color of the texture, stretch it or change it's direction. However, lets say that your texture is uniform, it is likely possible to make a texture without grout lines, then make a separate image for the grout lines with a transparent background, this could be overlaid on top of the underlying texture through something like a material region.

These 3 pictures you have here what are they ? I know I won't get a seemless texture because each tile would be different, which makes drawing out a sample in photoshop even more difficult because I would be using the same piece to create the pattern but it would all be the same. It something I might try and see how we go though.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Bretkennedy74 said:

These 3 pictures you have here what are they ?

Hey Bret. Do you mean what the hey-ho is goin on? ;)

Here's what you are seeing. I basically created a

herringbone pattern made up of dozens of Rectangular

Polylines 4" x 40". Used Transform Replicate and Multiple

Copy operations to fill out the pattern. Then converted the

Polylines to Polyline Solids 1/4" thick. Put 4 walls around

the P-Solids to form a room and Edited the Floor Finish to

0" to eliminate the room generated floor. Now you have a

floor where every single 4" x 40'" piece can be individually

changed to have a different material if so desired. I just

grabbed the first wood that was in the Core Catalogs, Alder

I think it was, and created 2 versions that had alternating

grain directions (135° & -135°) and applied them to every