Moldings Around Door and Window Casings

ComputerMaster86

I am working on a project where our customer is wanting LP SmartSide Trim around doors and windows with steel J-mold around the SmartSide Trim to except the G-rib steel exterior wall panels.  I am trying to figure out an easy way to add moldings around doors and windows at the very outside edge of the door and window casings.  I don't know of any very easy way to do this.  Do any of you guys know?  I am accomplishing what I am wanting to accomplish but, it's been painfully slow.

590b6bca47175_DoorTrim.thumb.jpg.45a6c7ceb610a4d7393de28c78d7b5bc.jpg

Lance:

Doesn't Chief cut off the siding on the outer edge where the siding butts up against the trim.  In other words, I don't think Chief will automatically tuck the siding into a J-mold trim piece.  What is wrong with what you are showing for your 3D view?  You can always show the trim build in a CAD detail.  Perhaps adding your custom J-mold to the outer edge of the Smartside trim can more closely resemble the real world look ... but delta rib style roofing and siding from the Library for 3D views is just an image ... it doesn't have the ribs projecting out from the flat base parts.  So even if you can tuck the siding material into your J-mold trim, I don't think it will look right if you zoom in with the camera.  Not so sure that trying to mimic real world conditions is worth the effort.  What I see in your image, whatever you did in adding the darker J-mold looks good to me for a 3D view, even if it isn't truly in a J-mold shape in your plan.

Below is a nice 3D detail of ribbed steel tucking into a J-mold.  If you wanted to create a really nice detail similar to this, you might just make a copy of this and bring it into a new CAD detail and then trace over the parts you don't want to figure out yourself (such as the siding with the ribs and the J-mold) and then add the Smartside trim next to the J-mold.  It would take a little time to do it but it sure would be a nice detail showing the builder how to install the trim.  Even if you do a 3D detail, I would suggest doing at least one 2D CAD detail as well ... these are easier to dimension, etc.

http://www.fabral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bluebook.pdf

I think you are probably done with your trim by now and yes, I can see where it can be painfully slow going around each opening in you plan.  Have had to do some of that myself.

J-mold.JPG

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can add a J-Molding

around your doorway by 1st drawing the J-Molding to scale in Plan View

and then adding it to your library as a Molding. Then draw a line around

the door frame and convert it to a 3-D Molding Polyline and assign it the

J-Molding you just created. You can fine tune the positioning with the

Transform/Replicate Tool.

Image1.png

21 hours ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I am accomplishing what I am wanting to accomplish but, it's been painfully slow.

It might help if you were to tell us how you are currently getting this done.  Then we can tell you if we have an idea for a faster way.  There are definitely ways to speed this kind of process up but I don;t feel like spending 20 minutes expounding on it just to find out you're already doing the same thing. 

On 5/4/2017 at 7:12 PM, CJSpud said:

Thanks, Curt, for this reference material link. The last few years clients have come out of the woodwork wanting "Barndominiums" in this area. Houzz and Pinterest currently rule! I have done several and continue to do them; have one in the works now. Thanks again.