Room planner masuring devices???

chiefuserWRH

There are several laser measuring device's that work. Check with Chief on which one's work but I have been using Disto  and never had any problems. Just be aware, there is nothing for measuring outside to property lines in Room Planner, you have to use paper for that. It takes me longer to measure a project using room planner, but when transferring to Chief, its already laid out, so a time saver there.

We have (but don't use) Room Planner so I don't know how this might work for you but we recently purchased a Disto S910 (in the pro pack) and absolutely love it.  You can use it like the lower cost Disto units but you can also use it like a simple theodolite total station for gathering data.  We can do a quick as built or a basic survey. It can put each shot in live or create a dxf file with photos.  I love the fact that I can measure any vertical or horizontal item from one spot on the ground.  Example: we end up working in areas of Scenic Rivers or Landscape Management where we have to identify all ridge heights, chimneys, stove pipes, vents and satellite dishes on the home and the exact height from existing grade.  We just did this last week on a home and also captured many architectural features a few inside measurements as well as basic topography, driveways, visible utilities, nature trail and property corners.  It took one person about 75 minutes and no one had to get on a ladder.  The accuracy is staggering, between 1/32" -1/4" at 1,000 feet.

We have done 3 as-built drawings for remodel projects since getting this tool and it has move than paid for itself already.

https://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/disto/s910

best deal I have found

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-S910-Distance-Measurer-Measuring/dp/B00UP2WAFG

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2017 at 1:11 PM, WesternDesign said:

We have (but don't use) Room Planner so I don't know how this might work for you but we recently purchased a Disto S910 (in the pro pack) and absolutely love it.  You can use it like the lower cost Disto units but you can also use it like a simple theodolite total station for gathering data.  We can do a quick as built or a basic survey. It can put each shot in live or create a dxf file with photos.  I love the fact that I can measure any vertical or horizontal item from one spot on the ground.  Example: we end up working in areas of Scenic Rivers or Landscape Management where we have to identify all ridge heights, chimneys, stove pipes, vents and satellite dishes on the home and the exact height from existing grade.  We just did this last week on a home and also captured many architectural features a few inside measurements as well as basic topography, driveways, visible utilities, nature trail and property corners.  It took one person about 75 minutes and no one had to get on a ladder.  The accuracy is staggering, between 1/32" -1/4" at 1,000 feet.

We have done 3 as-built drawings for remodel projects since getting this tool and it has move than paid for itself already.

https://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/disto/s910

best deal I have found

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-S910-Distance-Measurer-Measuring/dp/B00UP2WAFG

This would be a great topic for the DSH 20 minute WORKSHOP.  Elvin,  would you be willing to share sometime in the near future?  

I am just not convinced or sold on this yet but I am always willing to listen.  Thanks,  hope to see you at 4:00 pm PST today for terrains workshop.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We have been busy with the spring home & garden show here.

I was thinking we would take notes or record our next remodel (we have 2 more coming up very soon).  I think it could help others with the process since we had trouble finding information on-line for the setup and best practices. 

I will keep you informed. :)