Rotate top plate to match roof pitch

Avidander

Just a quick question to see if there is a way to rotate a top plate so that it matches roof pitch.  This is common framing practice for interior walls and I am trying to find a way to have a sloped plate at the exterior wall so rafters bear on wall with no birds mouth.  Another way to put this would be how can I get the top plate on the wall adjoining a rake wall to plane in.   

top plate.PNG

I think I understand your question but am confused by the illustration as they are not matching for me but I think this could only be achieved with manual framing with polyline solids, and would be a lot of work to make it display properly in all views.  Hoping that someone might have a better answer for you.

There might be other ways I'm not thinking of, but one way you can do that manually is by first rotating a stud in plan view and then rotating that stud in elevation view so that its a top plate.  Then you can use Join and Lap Ends to trim a stud followed by multiple copy.  Post that plan and I'll see if I can't make you a quick video showing you how.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Michael,  What is the trick to the second rotation?  I loose that ability in elevation view after rotating in plan view with a wall stud.  Can't wait to see the video....

I SAID elevation view but what I should have said and what I MEANT was wall framing detail.  Try that and see if that works for you.  

Yup that could work but now that I have fooled with it a bit I think I personally would use the pitch following features of a modified lookout.;)

The drawback being that it will not show in your wall detail and would have to be filled in with cad.

Lookout Plates.jpg

Alaskan Son,

Thanks for the offer.  I messed around with it a bit again tonight and am still struggling.  Just for context, this is a shed for Habitat for Humanity.  The goal here is to create a framing detail that will allow them to slide the finished roof structure (with metal attached) up and across the top of the walls.  Then bolt it to the plate from inside.  We are trying to keep everyone off the roof.

HAHFH Shed.plan