Internet Connection and Chief

CJSpud

I should have captured an image of the message I've got while working with X9 today saying " .... Chief needs to establish an internet connection ....".  Usually I just close the box and keep on working ... I assume Chief has re-established the Internet connection to its satisfaction.  But once Chief crashed on me.  Has anyone else been experiencing any similar behavior?

My Internet is via Hughes.net satellite.  My office is on the main floor of my home while my modem and router are on the lower floor.  I communicate with the router with a USB adapter so I am wireless, not hardwired to my Internet service.  My system shows me having a good connection.  I have had no problems with Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird today ... they are working just fine.  Only Chief seems to be having problems.

If the dialog pops up again I will post an image of it.

I have been getting the same message occasionally too.  It has just been in the last while so I will keep an eye on when it happens.  I also have a wireless router with a good signal and the issue seems to clear itself up if I ignore it.

Chief has a requirement to connect to the "mother ship" about every two weeks

If your PC hasn't been on the internet for awhile or chief hasn't been able to get on the internet

then you may get that message

if you keep getting it and you have an internet connection then contact CA's tech support

this is if you are using the software lock, not sure about the hardware lock

I'll find out when I fire up my desktop which  hasn't been on since Jan

Lew

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Likewise with the message.... I've just sent a message to Support to try to sort it out. 

I have a good strength WiFi connection to my laptop (Macbook) and the house modem is on all the time so the laptop is connected always to the internet.  

The message says that I "must connect this computer to the internet prior to Thur Apr 12 21:28:01 2018 (i.e., in 6 days time).  If these operations are not performed, this program will terminate and this software may require re-registration".  

Cheers

Ross 

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 3.13.27 pm.png

Interesting. I've been having to login every time I reopen the program on my MacBook Pro even though it was the last computer to use the program. What's worse is that I get the message that another computer is using the program but when I go to my CA account online it shows that my MacBook Pro is the current user. So in order for me to login on my MacBook Pro, I have to deactivate my MacBook Pro online. I also sent a message to support. These issues are probably related.

I have my laptop on 24/7 and I use Chief X9 with hardware lock

I fired up X10 to check something and I got the message about needing to connect

so even tho I am connected the software doesn't try to connect to mother ship until activated again

so if you only use Chief occasionally then there won't be an issue until you want to use it again

and then you will need to ensure it does connect with mother ship and refresh the license

or the next time it won't work ...

Lew

I have been getting the disconnected error message fairly frequently.  It is connected because the messages appear in my start up window but I still have to go in and disconnect the program and restart with log in to stop the message from popping up regularly, while I work.  My desktop is hard wired to internet because Chief was slower using the modem wifi.

Support have replied with the suggestion to deactivate the licence, then reactivate using the product key. I've done this but will need to wait a while to see if this fixes the issue or if the message pops up again. It was only popping up every week or so... maybe longer. I just used to ignore it until it said the program would terminate in a few days time. Hopefully this fixes it. Cheers, Ross

This fix, from tech support, is what I have to do fairly frequently.  It fixes it for that session but then reappears in the next day or two.  I don't worry about it until I am taking a break because the program still works fine.  Annoying, but it is what it is!  

This fix, from tech support, is what I have to do fairly frequently.  It fixes it for that session but then reappears in the next day or two.  I don't worry about it until I am taking a break because the program still works fine.  Annoying, but it is what it is!  

Sherry:

wow !!!

that would drive me crazy

every time it happened I would call CA's customer support to complain about it

I would want to annoy them every time I got annoyed

I'm glad I have always used the hardware lock

this is why I am staying with X9 and won't be using X10 or any future versions that don't have a hardware lock

Lew

I don't have the Issue but I wonder if it is a Firewall Issue ?  ie The Chief Program is not be allowed to send Data to the Chief Activation Server , which it has to do once every 10-14 days  I believe.

Hi Mick, I don't think its a firewall issue. I use a MacBook and as far as I know anyway, there isn't a firewall. I don't use any virus checkers? 

Its interesting that its occurring across platforms. Sherry uses Windows and I'm using Mac. 

So far, no further message but early days.

Cheers

Ross

1 hour ago, pounamu said:

Hi Mick, I don't think its a firewall issue. I use a MacBook and as far as I know anyway, there isn't a firewall. I don't use any virus checkers? 

Its interesting that its occurring across platforms. Sherry uses Windows and I'm using Mac. 

So far, no further message but early days.

Cheers

Ross

That was one reason I thought it might be the Firewall as I know Win10 has the Built-in One, ( along with windows Defender) however I am not conversant with OSX or Macs in general , Most Routers also have Built in Firewalls of some Kind too.  If it was the Activation Server I'd had thought more people would have the Issue....

M.

• 5 months later...