Glass wall with grid-like molding

Rytikom25

Being a cabinet guy I thought of cabinets. Inset, 1" thick, with inset side panel, back as an opening. Keep splitting. Made the doors first convert to door symbol. Do the math to figure members and sizes to get total first.

Closed.PNG

open.PNG

43 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Being a cabinet guy I thought of cabinets. Inset, 1" thick, with inset side panel, back as an opening. Keep splitting. Made the doors first convert to door symbol. Do the math to figure members and sizes to get total first.

Closed.PNG

open.PNG

Is there any way you'd be willing to do a vid of that process?  Id really love to see that....could what you do work for commercial curtain walls?

...or a glass wall with a molding polyline in each direction with multiple moldings.

These can be broken and have no molding where doors are needed.

Or individual molding polylines multiple copied in each direction which can be broken and have no molding where doors are needed.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

Or you could build a wall,  fill it with a widow with mullions.

A bit hard to put doors in that.

15 hours ago, johnny said:

Is there any way you'd be willing to do a vid of that process?  Id really love to see that....could what you do work for commercial curtain walls?

I think the vid Chop mentions uses the principal- (I didn't check it though) but a week or two after I posted a plan with the method in it Mike did a vid having come up with it interdependently.

Attached is a plan with one way to use some of what I did if you were doing a more complicated curtain wall than what I did above for the store front. I'd build the module with a cabinet, convert to a millwork symbol, place, then be fruitful and multiply.

There are enough of the parts in there to get an idea of what you need to do-open the DBXs. Few other  plans I've  posted elsewhere could be of use- Sub Zero flush inset, and beaded inset, and some door kit plans for making cabinet door symbols.

I also keep a plan template with framed cabinets (wall, base AND tall), separations set to 0", set to no shelves in front then change fronts to have "to side panel inset" (or blank area) backs and sides as openings, delete all separations. Just easier to start that way when doing complicated configs.

Tips-

• when you get one area you're happy with copy and move to save that, you can't undo a step in the config so if you muck up you have to start over.
  • Keep a second plan up with a 3d view-drag new door symbols from library to check that they do what you want. If they are off you can usually change stretches and origin in the library and try again.
  • Setting stretches outside the symbol prevents doors from becomiing 3/4"thick when inserted
  • Sometimes the answer is to add a new "layout" vertical or horizontal, or a separation and then change it to something else and resize.

Chop is correct that I avoid doing vids. Partly I'm lousy at it, partly something Glenn said once that I took to heart (maybe not as he intended though) I took it as sometimes it's better to give folks enough work it out for themselves instead of "just do this". While I've learned an enormous amount from this forum there are a lot of things I wouldn't know if I wasn't in the habit of digging rabbet holes to crawl in.

Here's one:)

59076a6cad0c3_Curtainwall.thumb.PNG.7bc34c84de015dffb2a3ca5f6c33f5c9.PNG

Forgot- one advantage of doing it this way is you can keep your members sized as you want but still tweak overall sizes. When working with a cabinet config keep an eye on what is and isn't locked.

Curtain one way.zip

You can also use a "Panel Railing Wall" with the Horizontal Mullions built into the Panel (Glass for the main part of the panel) and use the Newels as the Vertical Mullions.  Set the Newels at full ceiling height.

I did a video some time ago with this method but I don't know where it is - probably in the old Forums someplace.  You can insert a doorway into this "Railing Wall" and change it to a "Hinged Door".

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I think the vid Chop mentions uses the principal- (I didn't check it though) but a week or two after I posted a plan with the method in it Mike did a vid having come up with it interdependently.

Curtain one way.zip

Holly cow - its amazing that you could create that panel using a cabinet.

12 minutes ago, johnny said:

its amazing that you could create that panel using a cabinet.

nah, actually Yoda is the king of making stuff with cabinets. Couple of years ago he made a mess of unbelievable stufff-don't remember exactly what...hand crank washing machine? Lamborghini? ...some stuff anyway.

• 6 years later...