Construction documentation

Designer1

Hi, after using chief since version 9 and Im on X9 Im starting my first set of CDs on chief.  I feel it would have been optimal to stay in line with the learning curve with all things chief.  I know chief top to bottom with all aspects BUT the working drawings and layouts...now learning that from scratch is feeling tedious but its my own doing since I didnt take the time from day one. 

With that being said does anyone know how to relocate the schedule callouts at the doors?  I know you can select each one and relocate but all of the door and window callouts are awkwardly placed like the window call outs go through the exterior walls into the centers of the windows.  I noticed there are many options to customize but I didnt see any 'offset' selection to move it lets say 18" off the wall.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Also, Ive watched a ton of the training videos but cant find the right one that can best teach me the layouts for CDs.  Some ive watched are talking about tools of the layouts and what the buttons do, while the others are so far ahead they assume you already know how to put them together in chief.  No critique on the training videos, I think there great, just wondering if someone could recommend one that might help me best?

Thanks!

Chad

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

With that being said does anyone know how to relocate the schedule callouts at the doors?  I know you can select each one and relocate but all of the door and window callouts are awkwardly placed like the window call outs go through the exterior walls into the centers of the windows.  I noticed there are many options to customize but I didnt see any 'offset' selection to move it lets say 18" off the wall.  Does anyone know how to do this?

You can set that in your window and door defaults under the Label tab.

The label positions are not dynamic defaults.  This means that if you change them in your window defaults, the existing windows in your plan will not automatically update.  You should be able to group select all of your windows (using the marquee select while in window mode) and change them all at once on the label panel of the window specification dialog.

Chad -

As Joey said above - Keep it simple on your layout's.

(Side Note- Joey's layouts are excellent and are a great template to duplicate- I believe he has offered to share or tutor in a previous thread.)

Well organized views and notes established in a clean template will serve you well for 99% or residential projects.

Having worked in the field for many years I always preferred simple uncluttered drawings vs. elaborate layout pages full of details and notes that did not pertain to the actual project at hand.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations.  Im still having issues.  If on the Y tab on the label area of the window dbx I change it to 60", -60" or 0" it stays in the same exact position.  So what Im doing is making adjustments to the offset going to window/door schedule and re pulling in a new schedule after deleting the old.  Regardless of what Im typing the call outs stay in the same location.  I cant figure out what Im missing here.

Dermot, when I tried it using this method you describe it wants to make the windows a cad block but doesnt allow me to make any changes to the label.  Im doing all this in 2d view by the way and Im on X9.

Geesh, I wish I would have learned this end of chief way back in 2003 when I first learned Chief.... this catching up stuff is cumbersome.  Im so use to being the chief wizard (well actually only the chief engineers are the true wizards knowing the tricks and short cuts) but this makes me feel like a newby all over again.:(

Not so sure messing with the schedule will help any. You just need to select the door or window and go to the Label tab and adjust the offsets or group select as Dermot suggested.  Once you are happy with the position set it in defaults so it will work automatically next time.  Pictured is Y -12" ,  X  8"

Window Callout.JPGLabel Offset.JPG

Thanks!  I just figured it out...FINALLY!  SO neither were working because I had so many first floor window units mulled together with transoms they one, didnt register as windows and therefore couldnt group select using the window tool and second they werent responding to the changes in Y axis measurements because they werent 'windows'.  I didnt realize that mulling the windows together made them register as non windows but I guess thats the case.  What a learning curve Im on with these construction documents...fun stuff!

Thanks again guys for the input!  Im sure Ill have more questions as I go.

So I went back to the plan and looked at all the mulled units.  I have some french doors with a transom window above, I have a front door that has sidelight windows plus a transom window, then all the first floor double hung windows have a transom window above and all these combos are mulled together.  What is the best way to do this... unmull all the doors and windows and have the call outs automatically call each individual part out or is it proper standard to have the mulled units as one on the schedule?

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Can't you go to the window and under the label tab, just mark labels to show the individual labels, and not the mulled unit label, even if they are mulled.

Perry, Thanks for posting this.  I have never noticed that option.  Is it new in X9?

If you have stacked windows you might not see the labels/callouts for all of them as some of the labels may stack directly on top of each other.  If that happens you may need to un-mull them and then move them enough so that you can drag some of the label handles (upper or lower) out away from the window or to the side of the other label; then re-mull so all the labels are displayed (assuming you are displaying each unit individually instead of as a single mulled unit).

Joe:

It seems like I've tried that but with no success.  Not sure I understand what procedure you are using.  Are you saying if you select a window e.g., then tab, that the label hidden directly under the one on top will magically move to the front?  I am sure that I've tried that but had no success in "freeing up the buried label" unless it was right before my eyes and didn't realize it.  Can you explain the process?

I think I will go do a test and see if I can figure out what you are saying.

Joe:

Excellent tip ... I probably just didn't see the label changing when I tabbed.  Would be nice if Chief has some little gem in the program that would tell it to offset the labels for stacked windows.

Joe, nice recommendation, I agree with you Curt, it would be nice if they could display all the labels and lay them out so you can see them...nice tip I never noticed that before, is that an X9 feature?

Perry, I couldnt find the mulled unit label to display all labels dbx selection you were talking about.  Do you have to group select in order to find that?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I couldnt find the mulled unit label to display all labels dbx selection you were talking about.  Do you have to group select in order to find that?

Mulled Window Compnent Labels.JPG

When I go and change the mulled unit to show all component labels it then moves the call out to the undesired space within the window....this is after changing the defaults and also unchecking show all components and going to the bottom and move the offset.  Does anyone know why once you click show all components it overrides the default and specified offset in the mulled unit label dbx?

It seems to grey out but maintain the settings of the Mulled Window Offsets for me when selecting "Show Component Labels".  Not quite sure what might be different for you.  Do you care to post the plan or are you able to reproduce in a sample plan?

Mulled Window Labels.JPG

Yeah for me if I just focus on one of the mulled units and type in -18 in the offset... if I select single label it follows the offset.  If I select show all components it ignores the offset.  Im going to try a bunch of mulled units to see if its just one or all of them that are doing this. Im wondering if there are any settings I might have selected thats causing that to happen.

Sounds like the issue may come if both windows are not the same before mulling.  But if you reset the offset after mulling it should stick when you select "Show Component Labels".