Hotkey Strategy

Joe_Carrick

Remapped the hotkeys - it's pretty much required if you're going to be using it every day. All programs.

I have created a spreadsheet with the most used tools / key combos, then rank them by how often they're used. Then I made another list with LEFT HAND ONLY hotkeys - single, double, cominations with modifiers (ctl, shift, etc). Then I rank those by how easy they are to do. Then I just compare the lists, bite the bullet, and remap everything. I print out the list for reference. A day or so of pain, and you are totally remapped for one-handed cad, and your right hand stays on the mouse. Very rarely do you have both hands on the keyboard.

It really speeds things up if you have an exterior numberpad that you can put over near your mouse - then that becomes your number hand. It's a pretty sweet setup once you get it set.

11 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Remapped the hotkeys - it's pretty much required if you're going to be using it every day. All programs.

I have created a spreadsheet with the most used tools / key combos, then rank them by how often they're used. Then I made another list with LEFT HAND ONLY hotkeys - single, double, cominations with modifiers (ctl, shift, etc). Then I rank those by how easy they are to do. Then I just compare the lists, bite the bullet, and remap everything. I print out the list for reference. A day or so of pain, and you are totally remapped for one-handed cad, and your right hand stays on the mouse. Very rarely do you have both hands on the keyboard.

It really speeds things up if you have an exterior numberpad that you can put over near your mouse - then that becomes your number hand. It's a pretty sweet setup once you get it set.

I like the strategy,  1 day of pain,  for me it would be 3 days.

but I will do you one better,  do 5 days of pain and learn to use mouse with non dominate hand.  

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...
On 4/26/2017 at 5:19 AM, Richard_Morrison said:

Clearly someone who used to use Generic CADD. (Probably one of the best CAD programs of all time.)

OMG.... I have not heard that name in years!    It was the first CAD program I used prior to AchiCAD.   Thanks for the memory :D