Needle in the hay stack!

Designer1

Hi,

I remember watching a training video on chiefs website about a selection box on the door dbx that you can select two separate textures for interior vs exterior of the door.... meaning I can have a wood finish on the outside and white on the inside of the door.  I cant seem to find the selection box on the door dbx nor the training video I watched so I can find it... go figure!  I must be in a daze because Ive looked at the door dbx and cant find it but remember one of the training videos had this very selection box..... was I dreaming about this? haha.

Thanks for the reply Eric.  Im familiar with the materials tab and adjusting the materials in that respect but I saw a dialogue box that you could select to make sure they are divided versus just having it colored the same.  I guess I will just ask tech support next time I have another question to call about... I just remember that video so vividly and cant replicate that dbx option anywhere.... its more of a principal thing for me versus not being able to change the textures.  Thanks so much for your time replying!

Eric, I just found it!  I found it on the general tab second to the last on the page "Interior doors...seperate trim and materials on each side"  BUT...the dbx only appears when you select a door or pass through on an interior wall....if you use the same tool on the exterior the option goes away.  To me this is so strange why wouldnt you have that option on all walls both int and ext?  I have had issues with this when I have an exterior wall to a balcony and then even when the balcony area is called out as a balcony or porch because its enclosed by a railing it registers as an interior wall and sometimes it will show up as both materials the same on both sides regardless if you say otherwise on materials tab.

I wonder what version of chief this option came out or has it always been there and Ive never noticed it before?

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

it will show up as both materials the same on both sides regardless if you say otherwise on materials tab

Please post a sample plan if you are able to reproduce this behavior.

40 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I found it on the general tab second to the last on the page "Interior doors...seperate trim and materials on each side"  BUT...the dbx only appears when you select a door or pass through on an interior wall....if you use the same tool on the exterior the option goes away.  To me this is so strange why wouldnt you have that option on all walls both int and ext?

The reason that option is there for interior doors is that it unlocks the dbx options that are available for exterior doors by default.

It is a little confusing as it does nothing on the General tab but activates options on the other tabs such as Casing and Lintels. However I don't think it has anything to do the color or material of the actual door slab and again Chief uses the wording "all materials for each side of the selected door independently"  which again seems a bit misleading to me.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here or what version of Chief Architect/Home Designer is being used, but I think Eric gave the answer.  Those settings are found in the Material tab.  The is one setting for the material on the interior side of the door and another for the material on the exterior side of the door (2 different materials)...

Door.thumb.png.58d3969c1116dd99dd142066bb79260e.png

The "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side" checkbox only appears for interior doors because exterior doors always have separate trim and materials.

The number of materials that appear on the Materials panel depends on what Door Style you choose.  If you choose a door symbol from the library, then it could be built with only one material or it could be built with 100.  It's all up to the door symbol designer.  If you are using one of the parametric door styles, such as Slab, Panel, Glass, or Louvered, you should see separate materials for each side.

Thanks for all the replies!  Yes, I forgot to say I was working with X9.  Dermot... do you know what version of chief this separate trim option came to be?  Was this option designed for instances like when you have a balcony with double glass doors and once you put a railing up both sides of the door (inside the house and inside the balcony railings) both sides register as 'inside'?  I have had problems with this over many different versions but didnt know how else to fix it.  I understand if I select balcony or porch as room type it should register as an outside room despite being within the railing but it didnt always work this way.

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks for all the replies!  Yes, I forgot to say I was working with X9.  Dermot... do you know what version of chief this separate trim option came to be?  Was this option designed for instances like when you have a balcony with double glass doors and once you put a railing up both sides of the door (inside the house and inside the balcony railings) both sides register as 'inside'?  I have had problems with this over many different versions but didnt know how else to fix it.  I understand if I select balcony or porch as room type it should register as an outside room despite being within the railing but it didnt always work this way.

It sounds to me like you are overthinking this a bit.  Exterior doors automatically have different trim on both sides because it is assumed that this will be the case nearly 100% of the time as it is in the real world.  For interior doors, this option must be manually selected as it is assumed interior doors will have the same trim material on each side the majority of the time..  We were given the option to have separate trim materials for ANY situation where we might want different trim materials on each side.

The problem you've described above with balconies has to do with your room definitions. Specifically, your room type (whether it's considered an interior room, an exterior room, or a hybrid room will decided whether or not your door is in interior or exterior door.  Search the Help files for Room Types and Functions and do a little reading on that subject. 

If I am not mistaken....  back in the day you did not have the option to have different materials on each side of door.   I would guess the only reason we have the ability to do it now is because the doors have 2 pieces.  An exterior piece and an interior piece.  IOW,  back in the day I think the door was one solid so there was no way you could have different materials on each side.

I remember when I built custom doors,  my doors where made of two pieces,  an exterior piece and an exterior piece,  hence I could define two different materials.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:22 AM, Dermot said:

The "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side" checkbox only appears for interior doors because exterior doors always have separate trim and materials.

The number of materials that appear on the Materials panel depends on what Door Style you choose.  If you choose a door symbol from the library, then it could be built with only one material or it could be built with 100.  It's all up to the door symbol designer.  If you are using one of the parametric door styles, such as Slab, Panel, Glass, or Louvered, you should see separate materials for each side.

Just tried the interior door on a blank plan. I could change the door slab colors each side, but couldn't change the trim colors. (OOB) interior panel door.

8 minutes ago, JLDrafting said:

Just tried the interior door on a blank plan. I could change the door slab colors each side, but couldn't change the trim colors. (OOB) interior panel door.

Post your plan,  you will have 38 folks prove your wrong,  it will work with SEPARATE TRIEM AND MATERIALS......  CHECKED

58f651a3ddeab_ScreenShot2017-04-18at10_48_54AM.thumb.png.a1e0c2e0c7210b0dd97ad491e8da57a7.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dshall said:

ATE TRIEM AND MATERIALS......  CHECKED

I had not observed that in the dbx. I have never needed to have different trims on each side. Or at least not in a number of years. I do remember using a molding line once to change the material for one side. Good to know this has been conquered. Thanks.