How To Raise Bottom of Wall

deesee

Hey guys,

I'm working on a renovation of an old house and we're adding a stair inside the house. As part of that work, we will be cutting the bottom portion of an exterior wall (of the 2nd floor) to allow for head clearance. I've tried to redraw the shortened 2nd floor wall, but it keeps going down to the floor level. I need to stop a few feet above that. See attached image for more info. Any ideas on how I can do that?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 10.22.55 AM.png

On 4/14/2017 at 10:33 AM, deesee said:

Man do I feel like an idiot!!! That was so easy! Thanks a bunch Eric.

The older we get,  the more we realize we are idiots.

Eric (who is one of the best answerer's on this forum) has a good solution.  But I am not sure if it is the best.  There was somebody on this forum who spoke of possibly using pony walls for a situation like this.  So,  if you know what a pony wall is,(one type of wall on top of another wall where you can define the  top of bottom wall  (or bottom of top wall).

Imagine using a pony wall in your situation,  the top wall is a drywall wall  (which is what you have now),   and the bottom wall is "essentially a wall made of a material called OPENING NO MATERIAL"  

If you use the pony wall method,  you can define top of wall via a dbx,  and,   and,  and,,  I think you might get a better "finish" under the wall.

Eric,  would you agree?  

I think both methods would work. I used Eric's method for the moment since it solved my problem. Here's another question though, how would I make a wall that is on an angle...i.e. follows the stair slope? I'm basically trying to create headroom for the stair.