Beaded Inset Cabinets

MarkMc

Some time back Graham, myself and a few folks played around with how to show a beaded inset cabinet in Chief.

What were the best solutions at the time are a PIA to work with. I was in need of doing a job with either beaded inset frames or elite (which will be a bit harder and is far rarer so not here)

I wanted some way to have a beaded inset frame that was easy to change door style on. Figured this out while driving back from client meeting.

Plan attached has a bunch of base cabinets configured, one wall cabinet and one tall. I've also attached a library of the "doors" used as "side panel inset" to achieve the beading.

These are 1/4" beads with a total width of 5/16"  Note that separation widths and heights need to be changed to get correct opening for doors or drawers.

From there you are on your own so open the DBX to see what's going on. Hope you like it, I'm pleased as punch :)

Ran a quick rt while checking things-looks like I'll need some hardware with altered origins so they don't float.

Note that these will use the default door, the top (A) drawers use default, the larger B drawers are set individually so either clear or specify those. Leave the beading untouched.

Discovered that the wall cabinet in the current plan is not set as a door but as a side panel inset. Either correct that your self of use the newly attached BeadInsetPlan_X12.

Changing to wider combined cabinets involves selecting "layout" vertical or horizontal and splitting. Avoid messing with the beads. Bit tricky, always use a test cabinet.

Beaded cabinets.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

it's too bad CA does not allow you to select layout sections and copy/paste them,

That would be sweet!!

This wasn't too bad once I figured it out though.Started with full height and set to side panel inset and picked one of the side beads. Then proceeded to split as needed, change sizes and panel or bead. Some others I split layout so did not have to keep redoing all the parts, where I wanted to remove rails I split the drawer instead.

• 2 months later...

I myself had the challenge of trying to create a beaded inset cabinet to model. I had to take our cabinet door style and extrude the bead along the outside to get the bead to show up on the drawings. A couple things I ran into:

-I had to reduce my partition sizes by the bead widths in order for it to show correctly.

-I had to create a door with an extruded bead on three sides to use for double door cabinets.

-I created a door without a center panel (bead only profile) to model beaded openings.

Hope this helps anyone needing to create their beaded inset cabinets. Hopefully Chief adds beaded frame as an option so we don't have to create 4 different library symbols for cabinet doors for each door style offered.

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 9.33.42 AM.png

1 hour ago, jjohnny said:

Hopefully Chief adds beaded frame as an option so we don't have to create 4 different library symbols for cabinet doors for each door style offered.

The first round that we tried some time ago required a new symbol for every door style. The plan I posted uses something different and is easy to change the door style. I just made some cabinets , starting with a full height door, and added to the library. The doorstyle can be changed to anything you already have in the library.

Just did these in about 5 minutes. If the main doorstyle is set to use default they work globally.

beaded inset pics.png

Correct me if I am wrong, but your image seems to show the hardware detached from the surface of your drawers.

When making custom objects Chief will usually assign an invisable '" bounding box" to the object. this would not cause a problem with flat faced drawers,but in the case of raised embellishiments, the hardware will attach to the furthest extent of the front bounding face, which is now extended by the Depth of the said embellishment. 

Update: On closer examination of the plan you posted it appears you do not have any "raised embelishments", however there are some drawer fronts with depressions, and on these the harware hangs strangly in mid-air

6 minutes ago, ARCHIJEF2000 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but your image seems to show the hardware detached from the surface of your drawers.

When making custom objects Chief will usually assign an invisable '" bounding box" to the object. this would not cause a problem with flat faced drawers,but in the case of raised embellishiments, the hardware will attach to the furthest extent of the front bounding face, which is now extended by the Depth of the said embellishment. 

Yes that can happen, I believe the hardware in cabinet hardware in CA is set based on a 3/4" thick door/drawer. If your custom door/drawer differs from this then the hardware will not be properly positioned. The solution is to save the hardware to your user library and open up the symbol DBX and change the offset to suit your particular door/drawer thickness and then assign this in the cabinet DBX as the hardware to use.

• Upvote 1

On 6/16/2017 at 9:07 AM, ARCHIJEF2000 said:

Update: On closer examination of the plan you posted it appears you do not have any "raised embelishments", however there are some drawer fronts with depressions, and on these the harware hangs strangly in mid-air

Yup-I was only interested in offering and demonstrating a method for bead inset cabinets and these cabinets are from the first batch saved. I have a batch of hardware saved with modified exactly the way Graham suggests, which I eventually used in the actual plan. Easy enough to do what Graham says and save to your library.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:18 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yes that can happen, I believe the hardware in cabinet hardware in CA is set based on a 3/4" thick door/drawer. If your custom door/drawer differs from this then the hardware will not be properly positioned. The solution is to save the hardware to your user library and open up the symbol DBX and change the offset to suit your particular door/drawer thickness and then assign this in the cabinet DBX as the hardware to use.

Yep.  Just an added tip on this...

Once placed into your user library you can actually use the SAME symbol for multiple offsets.  Simply switch to a 3D view, open the symbol in the library and then "paint" it onto your cabinet.  Chief will always remember the symbol as it was originally placed so you can then proceed to use the same symbol for another cabinet in the same way with a different offset if you wish.  

I have it on my mental to-do list to make a video on the subject but this same technique can be used for all sorts of things. I especially find it useful for adjusting bounding box settings for both 3D moldings (changes the spacing) and for symbols added to parametric objects as accessories or attachments (allows the object to be narrower, wider, shorter, taller, deeper, or shallower than intended).  It just gives you a way to pretty quickly and easily adjust things as necessary without creating extra symbols and without opening and closing the main object anymore than necessary.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...