board-and-batten-siding texture?

Kbird1

I thought that Kirk was asking what sort of tool we'd like to ideally perform the job.  I didn't realize he was just "fishing" for something to provide a work-around for ;)

I agree this should be filed as a feature request. But thought I'd throw an idea out there as well. :)

Hi thanks Glenn ....cos I didnt think of doing it that way :)   how is sydney today ?  my brother lives there.....

I think Kirk was confused since he gave us a board and batten wainscotting/room panelling , I just wanted a siding material ...chose it , click done....

That was just an example of the modling profile I had made. You can adjust the height and spacing in the molding specification to make it span the entire height of the wall if you need. My example was mainly showing that it doesn't handle the window very well. The pattern breaks up.

Is there a way to make a pat. file for a board & batten with 2" batten on 12" centers? Can this be done "within" CA or will it have to be accomplished in another program? I thought somewhere along the line I read about this in a thread, but can't find it now.

I opened the Patterns/Chief Siding Pat. file (attachment) and I noticed what I think is a board & batten pattern for 2" bat on 12" centers. If this is true, how do I access this pattern? The pattern that shows when you click on this pattern file is the first one on the list (I think)

post-76-0-52625300-1394465609_thumb.jpg

These are the 2 patterns I am messing with No#167 is the 8" as I need it, the problem is there is no texture for the Patterns CA made,the one posted by DJP up further in the thread works ok though , just no 3D shadows etc.

You can apply the Patterns using the Materials Definition tool but you have to change the scale to 0.1 from 1.0 as the pattern at least for #167 is wrong (it's massive)

You can actually make your own B&Bsiding.pat file in notepad and save it in the Patterns folder and play with those numbers you saw in the Chief file for spacings etc and apply the Pattern as above.

M.

I messed around with the texture posted by DJP above  and the chiefsiding.pat file and made a new 8" center material but you can change the size in the material definitions note the the size you input will need to be larger than real size to get it to measure (tape tool) correctly in elevations etc , eg for this 8" center board I have the size at 9 1/2".

note that due to the texture is is not "real" 3D but the best I have tried/seen so far.

change the .zip file extension to .calibz  (can't post calibz's)   and install as normal ,it should show in My Library as Board and Batten 8"

M.

***Updated File plus added New Pattern file used to update the Materials

B&B Siding.calibz

My B&B Patterns.zip

Since Making This Library , another way of doing this was discovered , have a look at the thread and the new library is here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5383-is-there-a-way-to-trimextend-psolids-in-elevation-view/page-2#entry47072

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/10/2014 at 6:38 PM, Kbird1 said:

I messed around with the texture posted by DJP above  and the chiefsiding.pat file and made a new 8" center material but you can change the size in the material definitions note the the size you input will need to be larger than real size to get it to measure (tape tool) correctly in elevations etc , eg for this 8" center board I have the size at 9 1/2".

note that due to the texture is is not "real" 3D but the best I have tried/seen so far.

change the .zip file extension to .calibz  (can't post calibz's)   and install as normal ,it should show in My Library as Board and Batten 8"

M.

***Updated File plus added New Pattern file used to update the Materials

B&B Siding.calibz

My B&B Patterns.zip

Since Making This Library , another way of doing this was discovered , have a look at the thread and the new library is here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5383-is-there-a-way-to-trimextend-psolids-in-elevation-view/page-2#entry47072

Thanks for the pattern!

8 hours ago, KenL-sdd said:

Thanks for the pattern!

Thanks Ken , if you want real 3D , I made another Library back in Jan.  just remember to turn Framing on in ALL views to see them

• 1 month later...

+1

If we had a tool (similar to the corner board tool), it would be great.  We need control over the batten sizes and spacing as we do many variations.  We also do a great deal of board on board which could be faked by adjusting the batten size and spacing again.  (And like the framing, if we adjust the start location or want to move a single item, it would stick)

If I were to ask for the moon, then both the boards and battens could be added instead of placing two layers of sheeting then battens.  This would also be very helpful for material take-offs.

I am now using Wall Material Regions (3/4" thick, 2" wide, full height) and multi-copy at the desired spacing.  This skips all openings and I use the exterior Room Polyline to create the horizontal bands as needed.

It's full 3D with proper shadows and very easy to edit.

ps:  Window and Door Trim + Corner Boards provide the rest of the job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I am now using Wall Material Regions (3/4" thick, 2" wide, full height) and multi-copy at the desired spacing.  This skips all openings and I use the exterior Room Polyline to create the horizontal bands as needed.

It's full 3D with proper shadows and very easy to edit.

ps:  Window and Door Trim + Corner Boards provide the rest of the job.

Thanks Joe.  I will give it a try.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, WesternDesign said:

+1

If we had a tool (similar to the corner board tool), it would be great.  We need control over the batten sizes and spacing as we do many variations.  We also do a great deal of board on board which could be faked by adjusting the batten size and spacing again.  (And like the framing, if we adjust the start location or want to move a single item, it would stick)

If I were to ask for the moon, then both the boards and battens could be added instead of placing two layers of sheeting then battens.  This would also be very helpful for material take-offs.

My B&B Library Uses "Framing Type" Materials , so has many of those advantages give it a try too...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16852-board-and-batten-library/

• Like 1