board-and-batten-siding texture?

Kbird1

*** Since posting this originally in 2014, I have made a Framing Type Library to do B&B in different widths that post is here :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16852-board-and-batten-library/

***also see the 2nd page of this thread for other Ideas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there maybe one in newer versions but I dont have B&B as a library option , I have found some info on the old Forum most of it refering to Post 42224 and a Texture "Rusty" made but all searchs for that thread appear to be gone.

I found the Post there from Adrean (below) about the Chiefsiding.pat file and the 8" and 12" patterns ,no# 167 and 169 which work when the scale is reduced to 0.1 from 1.0 but haven't found a good texture yet....

nothing at all on B&B here on the new forums about it....

Thanks,

M.  

UGM Follow-Up: Clarification from the Content Development Team

For those who attended the Wall Elevations and Sections presentation with Scott and I, thank you for joining us! There was a popular request for a Board and Batten pattern to be added to Chief. I am both happy and regretful to inform you that we have this pattern available! I’m sorry that I didn’t realize it at the time of the question.

In order to use this feature, in the Define Materials dialog, on the Patterns tab, choose the Custom Pattern File option, and then browse to the Patterns directory in your Program Files folder (see image). Chief Architect provides custom patterns for Siding, as well as numerous other surface types. Within the ChiefSiding.pat file, you can choose from the dropdown list one of the Board and Batten pattern styles. Setting the scale to ‘0.1’ seems to achieve the proper dimensioning of the pattern lines.

I apologize for not recalling the availability of this and the variety of other patterns we offer. I would encourage you to browse the options in each of these pattern groups so that you may in the future be able to leverage these details in your designs!

Kind Regards,

Adrean Stephenson
Chief Architect, Inc.
Sr. Content Developer
Product Marketing Manager

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the help , i'll try this texture looks good , and will look better than any thing I fudge up  :)

Am still surprised that the Patterns have been there for yrs it seems , but no Textures were ever made > and thus Materials.

M.  

It has been my experience that CA has yet to have a truly realistic B&B material.

the normal way we do it around here is 4'x 8' sheet material over 16" o/c studs and then 1"x3" battens 16" o/c.

the Texture DJP posted above (thx,D) is as good as I have found so far to give me the look of Cedar 1x8 and the 1x2 Batten once I change the colour etc and using the #167 pattern set to 0.1 

Rusty has been on the old forum since last Oct and hasn't joined this new one so if someone else has his pic/texture pls post it here.

Thanks.

M.

Kirk, since you asked.....

Something like the Corner Boards tool to apply the battens to the wall (3/4" x 2" at 12" oc is common but a set of defaults would be appropriate).  Spacing is really based on the size of the Boards, so if 1x8 boards are being used then the spacing would be 8".  If 1x12 boards are being used then the spacing would be 12".  The battens should stop at window casings and aprons as well as at door casings.

The advantage of such a tool would be that shadows would be cast by the battens depending on the sun angle rather than an arbitrary picture used as a texture where the shadows might be opposite of what the sun angle would dictate..

• Like 1

Kirk, since you asked.....

Something like the Corner Boards tool to apply the battens to the wall (3/4" x 2" at 12" oc is common but a set of defaults would be appropriate).  Spacing is really based on the size of the Boards, so if 1x8 boards are being used then the spacing would be 8".  If 1x12 boards are being used then the spacing would be 12".  The battens should stop at window casings and aprons as well as at door casings.

The advantage of such a tool would be that shadows would be cast by the battens depending on the sun angle rather than an arbitrary picture used as a texture where the shadows might be opposite of what the sun angle would dictate..

Well, unfortunately there is no real easy way to get it to wrap windows and doors...

But, you can do this with a molding line or the standard room molding polyline and a custom board and batten modling profile. Here is one I whipped up based on your 1x8 scenario. 

http://jmp.sh/9Tr6kWN

post-44-0-82877700-1394232790_thumb.jpg

Hi Kirk , most common here is the 1x8 board with 1x2 Batten over the joint ( 1x10/12 tends to dry out and split too much) but having those options in a Siding would be great. I assume the Patterns in the chiefsiding.pat file are scaled incorrectly? as I needed to use 0.1 not 1.0 to get it to look ok. If it was a Siding rather than a tool like for Quions , I assume it would "see"  windows , doors etc automatically right and stop the battens appropriately right?

note that the board sizes above are their nominal size and are typically 7 1/2" x3/4" thick  and  1 1/2" x 3/4"  thick  in my case so the 2" size batten looks a little "fat" at 2" 

The png David posted works but yes it would be nicer if the battens had depth and therefore shadows etc  

this is a project i did last summer , this client has asked me to do the design/build for  their new garage/studio too , so it would be nice to have better looking images to help "sell" the project .....

post-315-0-73542000-1394232764_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-11436100-1394232805_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-76830500-1394232918_thumb.jpg

Hi thanks for the time Kirk , guess you were posting as I was above , I/we are talking about Exterior Board and Batten siding rather than a wainscotting type material here as you can see in my images above.

M.

Why not have the plywood cladding the outside layer of the main wall.

Then create a single layer framed wall for the battens. Bump this batten wall up against the main wall.

Set your framing defaults to suit the batten wall and build framing.

Select all the batten walls and check Retain Wall Framing.

If you need framing for the main wall, change the framing defaults and build framing.

You may need to clean up the odd bit of framing in the batten wall, but it will take account of openings, etc.

Any method that tries to build all the battens correctly is going to need editing because it will never be correct all the time.

It is easy to drag the battens around and edit them in a 3D or plan view.

• Upvote 1

Why not have the plywood cladding the outside layer of the main wall.

Then create a single layer framed wall for the battens. Bump this batten wall up against the main wall.

Set your framing defaults to suit the batten wall and build framing.

Select all the batten walls and check Retain Wall Framing.

If you need framing for the main wall, change the framing defaults and build framing.

You may need to clean up the odd bit of framing in the batten wall, but it will take account of openings, etc.

Any method that tries to build all the battens correctly is going to need editing because it will never be correct all the time.

It is easy to drag the battens around and edit them in a 3D or plan view.

How would gable end walls work and do they line up. Nice idea if it works. I try to play around with this idea.

Perry,

I doubt that any tool that Chief could come up with would do a much better job than the framed wall.

Any method will require editing of some of the battens. 

I just did a quick exercise on the gables and everything looks great as the framing is set out from the same location.

I thought that Kirk was asking what sort of tool we'd like to ideally perform the job.  I didn't realize he was just "fishing" for something to provide a work-around for ;)

Oh, OK then.

How about a tool that works exactly like a single layer framed wall.      ;)

Hi thanks Glenn ....cos I didnt think of doing it that way :)   how is sydney today ?  my brother lives there.....

I think Kirk was confused since he gave us a board and batten wainscotting/room panelling , I just wanted a siding material ...chose it , click done....

Perry,

I doubt that any tool that Chief could come up with would do a much better job than the framed wall.

Any method will require editing of some of the battens. 

I just did a quick exercise on the gables and everything looks great as the framing is set out from the same location.

Glenn,

That's pretty cool - great example for Kirk of what B&B is all about :D

Glenn,

One thing that I find is a problem is that I can't change the color of the material except by picking an individual framing member.

Only after using the stud's dbx to change it's material can I the use the eydropper/spraycan to individually edit each of the other framing members.

IOW, it's pretty tedious.

Joe,

Yes, there does seem to be a problem with the materials.

It seems that every time you rebuild framing, ALL the wall framing reverts back to the default framing material'

I created a new material for the batten walls.

I can overcome the material problem by unchecking Retain Wall Framing after all the framing is built.

I don't understand the logic, but it seems to work.

I didn't say that this was the bees knees to do board and batten, but at the moment it seems to work OK.

If you can suggest a better way, I'm all ears.

Did anyone check out the B&B as mentioned by Jintu in post no#2 ? I don't have them but maybe in X4 or X5?

saw it mentioned on HomeTalk too now for HDPro 2014

I found a board and batten siding option. Download the CertainTeed 2013 catalog. Then, in your library, look under Manufacturer Catalogs - CertainTeed - Siding - Vinyl Siding Polymer Shakes - Vertical Siding - Board & Batten Single 8". Several color options are available