Curved Pews

luckyudesign

I'm working on some conceptual drawings for a new church. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make or get a curved pew? The radius would be 17'. I'm sure I could make one but could I resize it and keep my radius? The attached pic is from a pew layout from another church but shows the basic concept I'm aiming for. As you can see, nearly every pew is a different size so would be really nice to just be able to resize instead of draw each individual one. 

Curved Pews.JPG

I think the answer to your question depends more specifically on the design of the pew. 

Site unseen I'm guessing the best option is probably to use a molding polyline as Eric suggested except with both 2D and 3D moldings and maybe a distributed object polyline to help provide for the two ends of each section.

NOTE:  You could also skip the 3D molding symbols by using multiple distributed object polylines.  For example, you may be able to use a simple molding extrusion for the seat portion, a matching distributed object polyline to supply the 2 end caps, and then another matching distributed object polyline to supply intermediate components.  This way you could simply copy those 3 objects and paste elsewhere to create a new resized and reshaped pews.  This method would make it very easy to create all sorts of varying shapes and sizes and the distributed object polylines could be exploded to allow for further customizations.

On second thought, here's another idea that might be of interest to you.  I think this is a decent video probably worth watching for just about anyone using Chief pretty heavily for 3D modeling.  The basic methodology can be used for quite a few things...

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Nice demonstration of the application of your technique.  Thanks Michael :)

You're more than welcome.  If I can find enough spare time I'll see if I can make another video going over my preferred method at some point here...using moldings and distributed objects.  That method is probably quicker, easier, and more accurate except that it requires a little extra work on the front end to create the molding(s), symbols for end caps/arm rests, and symbols for any intermediate components (legs, frames, rails, book slots, etc.).  Just a bit of extra effort for something I don't actually need to make right now. 

16 minutes ago, luckyudesign said:

Worked great! Only thing is I put the end caps on the pews when I made the symbol so they strectched together with the pew and I have some pretty thick ones so really need to apply them afterword. 

Balcony to sanctuary.jpg

I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned it in the video but maybe I didn't… you need to set the appropriate stretch plane(s) or zone(s) in the symbol's sizing tab.