Fascia Mount Railings?

WhistlerBuilder

Hi Chiefers,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the railings on decks attach to the fascia instead of have posts sitting on the decking.

I live and work in mountain country / temperate rain forest and we have major issues with water up here. The standard chief design with the posts sitting on the deck surface wont work for some of the sealed decks I do, and I have also run into an issue where the edge of a deck terminates in a tight door to window junction. This means that for my deck location to be accurate in the plans it would be really helpful if I could have a fascia mounted railing to plan where that railing meets the exterior wall in order to avoid an adjacent window.

I have attached two images showing the two configurations I am talking about.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

post_fascia_mount.png

post_base_mount.png

Whistler,  I don't think it is possible to do that in a fully automated way, so my choice would likely be to stick with the auto railing tools and manually frame the deck.  Go ahead and auto frame the deck and then turn that off and move the framing and decking in the amount required to clear the railing legs. Drop the room the equivalent of (L) Planks and Joists. Make the rail that much taller and raise the bottom rail the same amount and you should be good. B)

Deck Surface Newels.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perry:

I may have missed some earlier threads on this deck subject and am wondering about your suggestion.  If you lower the platform elevation (where the platform stops), doesn't that move the deck floor framing and planking with the railing?  What am I missing?

• 1 month later...

Just down the road from you here in Squamish ... face the same issue pretty much every deck we design & it's a real pain in the butt.  What I have resorted to is a CAD drawn insert in the drawings that shows how the railing should really be fascia mounted & to basically ignore how they look in the automatically generated elevation & 3D views.  Perhaps Chief will eventually "fix" this but I have my doubts as it seems to come up a lot from the user community.  There is a railing post offset setting now that I think is new'ish, but it moves the posts without moving the railing so pretty much pointless as a means to resolve this particular issue.

I'm not a fan personally of manually modifying the framing any more than I have to because this then makes subsequent design changes (ie. client now wants deck bigger or smaller) a bit of a pain.  It's a bit of a judgement call for each specific case whether I do that or just add notes/CAD details instead.

• Upvote 1

Glad i don't have to worry about fascia mounts here in Ontario. We aren't allowed to do it. Only if deck is below 24" off grade when it doesn't require railing. I just do my posts and rails manually. It's easier to control where I want them and most are custom for the job.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:43 PM, solver said:

I looked at this awhile back.

Railing built on 2nd floor, Room Divider used to close the back side making a room. Give the room a negative floor height to put the railing down by the deck.

Snap20.thumb.jpg.9430c7f264a6c76ab47838459c7b710b.jpg

That's really clever, so I gave it a shot. We use a lot of fascia-mount cable rail systems. I had to use some room dividers on the corners to get the corner newels correct:

railing1.thumb.PNG.ada08c8ec5fc4ea77a79d201cb203ef1.PNGrailing2.thumb.PNG.17a5deeb43872116aa6d01f17a5a277e.PNG

The remaining issues are 1) to get the handrail to miter at the corners, 2) to infill the corners with cable, and 3) the railing panels don't extend the full width between newels (with these particular custom newels). So, I like the idea a lot, but it's the details that make any work-around such a bug-a-bear.

1 minute ago, rlackore said:

That's really clever, so I gave it a shot. We use a lot of fascia-mount cable rail systems. I had to use some room dividers on the corners to get the corner newels correct:

railing1.thumb.PNG.ada08c8ec5fc4ea77a79d201cb203ef1.PNGrailing2.thumb.PNG.17a5deeb43872116aa6d01f17a5a277e.PNG

The remaining issues are 1) to get the handrail to miter at the corners, 2) to infill the corners with cable, and 3) the railing panels don't extend the full width between newels (with these particular custom newels). So, I like the idea a lot, but it's the details that make any work-around such a bug-a-bear.

Great thread...

I would put in POSTS separately  (maybe as symbols,  RACKLAMORE did a great job with the visual..........  

so,  POSTS as symbols and .....  here is the key.....  the top rail and the cable railing as MOLDING POLYLINE........  the deck itself is defined as an invisible wall......  

another great topic for the DSHW.