I am proud to present to you a set of ceiling-mounted HVAC registers, for those of you in the south without basements and crawl spaces.

There are three sizes:

• 4x8 (3-way louvers)

• 4x12 (4-way and 3-way louvers)

• 12x12 (4-way and 3-way louvers)

There are two types of 2D symbols for each, depending on your drawing style:

• diffuser-type symbol with arrows indicating louver direction

• box-type symbol with shading indicating louver direction

These registers include a box and inlet duct that reside above the ceiling. Only the register grille will be visible from within the room.

For that super-realistic look when rendering, add a ceiling hole on top of each register so that the you can see the inside of the register box through the louvers. I find the result really adds a lot to a render.

Known issues:

The program will not let you make a ceiling hole small enough for the 4x8 vent. Apparently ceiling holes can't be smaller than a certain size.

EDIT: The program will not let you make a square ceiling hole small enough for the 4x8 vent... But you can do two triangle-shaped ceiling holes to make a square. (Thanks, ArchiJef2000!)

• These registers will work on a vaulted ceiling. However, if you place a ceiling hole above them, they will no longer sit flush on the vaulted ceiling surface. If it is very important to you, you can accomplish this by setting the symbol to not be ceiling-mounted, and adjusting the rotation manually (see screenshot below for results).

Any questions? Ask!

Enjoy!

post-210-0-65508900-1403725632_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-84613400-1403725645_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-93657500-1403725656_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-69223100-1403725673_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-00199900-1403725688_thumb.jpg

hvac_registers.calibz

Edited by brinkbart
  • Upvote 3

Very good stuff, by the way there is an old Chief trick  to make small holes in the ceiling platform.

You cannae (Scottish) make small square holes, but you can make small triangular ones.

If you fashion a small equilateral triangle it will work, one possibility would be to  alter the strait sides into curves, which if you are careful will give you a circle. Now try and find a use for these (can lights) maybe

• Upvote 1

If you fashion a small equilateral triangle it will work, one possibility would be to  alter the strait sides into curves, which if you are careful will give you a circle. Now try and find a use for these (can lights) maybe

Wow. This community never ceases to amaze me.

So.... that worked. Thanks, ArchiJef2000!

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Rosco2017 said:

That fireplace was gorgeous! Thank you for the symbol!

The Pic of the fireplace is just showing the Ceiling Registers ...which are the symbols for download....

but I agree it is a nice Fireplace :)

I am pumped that you guys are still getting mileage out of this package / post after three years.

I feel eel like I should address the fireplace. I use it all the time.

The actual firebox came from 3D Warehouse, as did the mantle. The brick course around the face is a door with thick molding (Include in Schedule is unchecked, thank you very much). The brick course (and quarter round) around the hearth are molding polylines. The hearth is a polyline solid. The walls are walls.

This doesn't exactly play well with the Materials List feature, but otherwise it's legit.

I keep a few fireplace setups like this in a plan file, to be copied/pasted with CAD lines for positioning. Funny thing is, with all the different object types, you (still) can't make an architectural block out of it, and you can't rotate this beast. But you can flip it. So I had to make two of each type of fireplace, one up and down and one left and right. Depending on my needs, I would just choose one and reflect it.

Would be happy to share, but buyer beware, I have my own wall types, and layer names. But maybe you could find something useful in the plan!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brinkbart said:

Funny thing is, with all the different object types, you (still) can't make an architectural block out of it, and you can't rotate this beast. But you can flip it. So I had to make two of each type of fireplace, one up and down and one left and right.

A little off subject, and I know you already made multiple versions of the fireplace, but just FYI...

You should be able to rotate that beast using Edit Area (Control+H).  Edit Area has had a few bugs associated with it over the years, but currently I think it should work just fine for that particular purpose.