Curved/ Arched Molding Help

cjprowant

Can anyone help me figure out how to add curved/ arched molding to a custom wood hood? I have attached a photo of what I am attempting to accomplish as well as a rendering of the hood I am working on. 

I have created a 3D molding from a poly line. I have attempted to manipulate it in 3D. I have not been successful. I cannot get it to follow the arch of the hood in both directions.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank You.

hood reference.PNG

my hood.PNG

Im not sure you can do this in Chief cleanly.  Someone may show you a way to take roof planes and use the gutters for the modeling (im just being silly) but I dont think there is a way to get that molding line to "drape" onto the surface of the hood.  You could do this in Sketchup and then export the symbol....

I appreciate the replies and suggestions.

I no longer use sketch up as I have been able to accomplish all of my needs in Chief for the last couple of years. Maybe it is time to get back into sketch up. I do not even have it installed on my system anymore. 

It would be great if there were a work around that someone can think up in Chief. I tried all of the usual stuff I could think of. Maybe johnny is right. We shall see.

Not to impede on your design, but something that stands out is the fact your actual modeled hood is elongated in a way that you could actually design around the issue in Chief - and in my opinion - end up with a more practical solution to your condition.

What I mean is in your picture example there is a short straight segment before the hood shape transitions to a large flare (where you want to place the shadow molding).  In your actual model the flare is much shorter, therefore you could just place the shadow molding on the flat area and not have the modeling problem.  You should add the bead molding like your picture example to accentuate the transition and divide the flat area from the flare area.

Just a suggestion...

Here is an example.

example.jpg

johnny,

I like your solution. It does add an interesting feel to the proportions of the hood in this kitchen. I will model it and propose it to our interior designer. I appreciate your suggestion.

We are going to proceed with Johnny's solution as the finished product will look great.

If anyone has a work around in chief for applying a molding that is curved in two planes, I am all ears.

Thanks again for all of your input.

my hood final.PNG

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

While it's obviously possible, applying a molding that's curved in two planes is not trivial. Unless you are using flexible molding, there would be a tendency for the molding to separate from the curved substrate.

To be clear, I meant applying the molding in reality (i.e. the cabinet shop), not Chief. (Although not trivial in Chief, either!)

Molding being curved in 2 planes is doable but is not for the feint of heart and it's really only worth the time and effort to complete in Chief IMO if you have a definable arc as one of the 2 planes.  In your example, I can get pretty close...

Molding.thumb.png.fcd49fcb0b8f24a6534e7d929d60e803.png

...except that the side profile of your hood cover isn't a true arc but rather a line and tangent arc or an ellipse of sorts...

58d57ddeda6ff_Molding2.thumb.png.546cf2839c4fa9a4bfdb56a93075361a.png

The hood cover in the picture you posted would have actually been easier as it appears to be closer to a simple arc.

For the record, even the more complex curvature is probably doable but totally not worth the effort IMO.  If you need to do that type of modelling you're probably better off using another program to complete the task...or hiring someone to do it for you. 

NOTE:  I don't have time to go through all the intricacies of the process right now but if you want to get the general idea I think you can probably extrapolate it from steps posted in this thread...

1 hour ago, cjprowant said:

We are going to proceed with Johnny's solution as the finished product will look great.

If anyone has a work around in chief for applying a molding that is curved in two planes, I am all ears.

Thanks again for all of your input.

my hood final.PNG

Looks great!