Applying custom landscape elements to a picture as a backdrop?

DaViper

I had someone ask me if Chief can create some landscape elements onto a picture?  I see this as quite tricky as the picture would be 2D and I assume would be applied as a custom backdrop?  I do not believe there is any need to get super precise or perfect depictions, but rather take a picture and say add a tree here and and rock there.  

It almost seem photo editing software would be the proper choice but maybe CA can do this?  

On 3/22/2017 at 11:01 AM, DaViper said:

I had someone ask me if Chief can create some landscape elements onto a picture?  I see this as quite tricky as the picture would be 2D and I assume would be applied as a custom backdrop?  I do not believe there is any need to get super precise or perfect depictions, but rather take a picture and say add a tree here and and rock there.  

It almost seem photo editing software would be the proper choice but maybe CA can do this?  

Yes.  You CAN do this in Chief via several different routes...

• Build>Image  -  Launch Help (F1) and search "Image" and read up on it. 
  • 3D Backdrop  -  Launch Help and search "Backdrop"
  • Images applied as materials to other various objects instead of, or in combination with the above.  Launch Help, search "Materials" and read up on creating and defining materials.

There are really a lot of possibilities.  You have to explore them for yourself though.

Using a backdrop in a walk through is weird. As I walk around the house and my orientation changes, the backdrop stays the same. Is there any way to specify that a backdrop is a sphere that surrounds the model?

so when I walk around and look in different places, the view changes .

1 hour ago, bobeee said:

Using a backdrop in a walk through is weird. As I walk around the house and my orientation changes, the backdrop stays the same. Is there any way to specify that a backdrop is a sphere that surrounds the model?

so when I walk around and look in different places, the view changes .

Yes that is a little disorienting.  It is a lot of work but you may be able to create your own backdrop screen depending on the situation  and layout of your plan and terrain.