Unable to generate truss after roof plane built

DaViper

I was adding a little roof extension to a building as sort of an open porch concept.  I generated 2 new roof planes, then tried to create a truss and CA indicates there werw no roof planes found to generate truss.  I stepped inside the already created structure and it created it just fine.  What did I miss here?  Baselines?  

Much like what you pictured.  I tend to think there is something going on with the roof planes but I closed it out and recreated the planes with the same issue.  CA is acting like they don't exist.  I was trying to move these features over to an "addition" layer and thought maybe they needed to be in the roof planes layer to see them but made no difference.  Recreated them in the roof plane layer and same problem.  

If I pull a truss back over into the old part of the structure, they will act like they want to generate.  

In playing with it, I determined that if I try to create trusses perpendicular to how I need them, they will generate.  So going lengthwise with the building instead of across.  That to me means the roof planes are there and the geometry is correct following the ceiling and roof plane.  Do I need to reestablish a baseline?

Could it be possible that your roof planes and ceiling planes are disconnected at the eave/bearing area thus causing Chief to not associate the two together?  Just a guess ... haven't got Chief open to experiment.

I appreciate the responses.  Solver, I realize probably sending you the model will be the quick solution, I find that I learn much more if I can work through these issues myself, so I guess this is sort of a learning process.  I don't use CA every day so I forget things.  

Just curious, if you create just some roof planes, and not ceiling planes, what error do 'you' get?  I cannot help but think the error message is telling me the problem.  It cannot find a proper roof plane to associate with the truss build.  

I have never rotated a roof plane.  Is it better to redraw it or a simple tool?

7 hours ago, DaViper said:

I appreciate the responses.  Solver, I realize probably sending you the model will be the quick solution, I find that I learn much more if I can work through these issues myself, so I guess this is sort of a learning process.  I don't use CA every day so I forget things.  

Just curious, if you create just some roof planes, and not ceiling planes, what error do 'you' get?  I cannot help but think the error message is telling me the problem.  It cannot find a proper roof plane to associate with the truss build.  

I have never rotated a roof plane.  Is it better to redraw it or a simple tool?

If you learn more by working thru it yourself,  why are you posting a question here?  What you are doing is taking up solvers time because he is guessing at a solution.  Solver is very good,  you will learn a lot more at a quicker pace if you give folks like solver the information so he can teach you.  Believe me there are plenty of things you can learn on your own.