CAD Detail Management

RobWhite

My cad details are only accessible when I open the project inwhich I produced them. When drafting a new project and the only method I know to open the previous job and copy the details into the library and then create a new cad detail in the new project and copy the detail from the library. 

I suspect that is a bit long winded.

Rob

Barb Preston's way is workable but I prefer to use "Boiler Plate" type details that I use repeatedly to be "Added to the Library" command found in the "Edit Toolbar" when selecting a true CAD Detail (all 2D objects). You can also "Save to Library" 3D objects if they are customized enough where doing so might save a few clicks in the future. The problem with having a "CAD Detail Plan" as Barb suggests is that it can become so packed with details to a point where the .plan file can become sluggish to deal with. Using a Custom named folder in the "User's Library" in the Library Browser is a more efficient way to organize and use such things.

DJP

If you have several CAD Detail Plans, it's pretty easy to organize by Detail Subject.

• Door & Window Details
  • Railing Details
  • Foundation Details
  • Floor Framing Details
  • Roof Framing Details
  • etc

Each of those Plan Files can have multiple named CAD Detail Windows.  It's kind of a "Library of Details" that are available to be sent to any Layout.  They can be modified in those Plans and any Layout that references one of those details would be automatically updated.  It's also very easy to create new details from any of those.  The Details are always "to scale" and the Library doesn't get cluttered with hundreds of details that can be difficult to locate.

From lib. straight to the layout, but no scale, which is ok for me, I really don't want anyone scaling the details anyway. I have most of my typical details already on my layout template so send it once , never do it again. Any oddball details are in the lib ready to go or revise. If a detail needs to change permanently  I just open it on a new plan, change it and re-save it, and delete the plan. This way it doesn't globally change the detail on every plan you have done in the past.