Microsoft Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book

jscussel

I was looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 & Microsoft Surface Book.

Can the Stylus be used in X9? Will it draw Walls, dimensions and input data.

In the What's New for X9 Pdf, it talks about Touch Screen Gestures. In the What's new video it talks about Zooming & Panning and Other Things. Don't know what "Other Things" refers to.

Do I still need to use a mouse with the above computers?

Johnny,

I'm looking for something portable to do as-builts. Presently, I use a Tablet with a program called Redstick Pro. 

Redstick Pro work's great with a stylus. The problem is, I need to draw it over again in CA. Looking for something I can input directly into CA. Don't want to use a mouse in the field.

Jon:

there was a recent thread about Chief on touch screens

the consensus was - no joy

not sure about the stylus ???

I believe the PRO 4 only has i5 processor and Chief does better with i7

so depending on how "serious" you are pushing the PRO 4 ???

I hear the PRO 5 is coming soon

Lew

Jon:

I'll have to check my Surface PRO 4

I thought I got an i5

maybe I made the decision to save money since I am retired ???

I've forgotten now :)

I got almost a year ago but never use it

as I don't like Win 10 :(

while snowbirding my goal is to get familiar with win10 enough that I can tolerate it

and to configure the Surface as much like win 7 as I can

should be tackling that task soon

Lew

My 2 cents.

Jon,

I use a Surface Pro 2, I5........open box deal. (I got the pro3 I5, in my pro2 battery type cover, under $700.00 year and half ago.)

one of those times in right place at right time.

I use a cheap Bluetooth mouse, in the field, and type cover is a must.... I think the pro 4 will be better, just not the best expected results you are looking for.

I have been trying Room Planner and the problem is "Notes" I need to make lots of notes and room planner just doesn't cut it, they make it too hard for noting. First you have to paste a note then change it, too many steps. It's just not good for that. Room Planner will also take you longer than pencil and paper, instead of hand drawing a door or window, you have to paste it in then adjust the sizes of them.  For the measuring part it works great, it's just all the other stuff that goes along with measuring it. For now, I'll keep trying maybe I'll get better at it.

Ps Room Planner doesn't have anything for outside measurements, that's another problem.

I find Room Planner very lacking to do existing. I sent in a list of things needed when it first came out. Nothing has improved. 

One thing it needs is a way to tell the difference from a computer generated dimension and a measured dimension. Redstick Cad Pro highlights the manual imputed dimension as Bold and locks it. Also different sized walls don't line up properly. If I remember correctly, they line up to centers. 

We do need a better solution for doing as-builts. I'm still looking.