Why does CAD file slow my computor down?

calgaryhomes

For work I need to use many details and notations that in autoCAD were kept on a separate plan and imported into the working drawing as needed.  However this has become a slow process to do in Chief and wanted to know if there is a workaround to this issue.  I have attached a sample of one of the CAD pages i created in Chief to see if others get the same slow reaction to zoom and pans.

Could this be a "purge" issue?  I used to purge my autoCAD files by writing purge in the task bar, but how is this done in Chief?

Untitled 1.zip

I would tend to handle boiler "plate" stuff like what  you have in your zip file by adding it to a "Users Library Folder" in the Library Browser. In your present form the 2D CAD stuff in one .plan file does open and handle slowly. The way Chief is programmed what you have would be better handled in the LB and not junk up every .plan file I opened. Each .plan file just needs to have that necessary data I need to keep it and me efficient.

DJP

I never put any cad details in the plan file, they should be put on  a Cad detail box, separate plan file or the layout. I keep mine in the lib. and have hundreds there. Cad in the plan file will slow it down.

Yea, I see what your saying.  

I don't add these details to my plan file, I keep them in a this separate plan file that I add to my file folder for each job.  I then add the reference the details to the layout file before printing.  My actual plan file runs fast and easy because its all Chief work no or very little CAD.

In this CAD plan I need to adjust and remove some details for every different job before I send them to final layout, I find it slow and tiresome.

3 hours ago, calgaryhomes said:

For work I need to use many details and notations that in autoCAD were kept on a separate plan and imported into the working drawing as needed.  However this has become a slow process to do in Chief and wanted to know if there is a workaround to this issue.  I have attached a sample of one of the CAD pages i created in Chief to see if others get the same slow reaction to zoom and pans.

Could this be a "purge" issue?  I used to purge my autoCAD files by writing purge in the task bar, but how is this done in Chief?

Untitled 1.zip

That is a big file.  Fill window takes about 3 seconds, and zoom in by mouse wheel about 1 second per wheel click, marquee zoom about 1 second, but I do have a new computer (see signature screen shot)

Detail pages, and CalGreen notation pages would slow my old unit down too much, so I had two plan sets, one for drawings and one for details

etc.