Shed Roof Laying On Top of Gable Roof - Framing/Materials

wnschoen

So what is the best practice for laying a shed roof on top of an existing roof (or something similar).  

- I want to generate Framing where I frame the main roof, then lay the shed roof on top of the main roof....

- I COULD build the lower roof plane and the upper roof plane, but that screws up the materials:  ie i have a whole lot more shingles than I need.....

- I COULD have both the shed roof and the main roof 'join together' --- but then my framing is incorrect....

Is there an option to simplify this?  Should there be?  A lot of times we want to create valleys by laying one roof plain on top of another instead of building a true valley with a valley rafter....

Thanks!

Framing Wrong - Metal Roof Quantity Correct.pdf

Framing Correct - Metal Roof Quantity Wrong.pdf

ShedRoofon TopofGable.plan

Edited by wnschoen
Added Plan File

With Chief's manual framing tools there is no "if", rather there is ,like Yoda says "Do or Do Not, there is no try". Once you learn this lesson you just see what needs doing and then do it with the tools at hand. That said you need to develop your own competence by first study and then practice based upon what you learned via study. There is no short cut to excellence. Just applied self-training and the intention of succeed.

DJP

45 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

With Chief's manual framing tools there is no "if", rather there is ,like Yoda says "Do or Do Not, there is no try". Once you learn this lesson you just see what needs doing and then do it with the tools at hand. That said you need to develop your own competence by first study and then practice based upon what you learned via study. There is no short cut to excellence. Just applied self-training and the intention of succeed.

DJP

Hey DJP,  what is going on?  I am not sure that helped out the OP.  

He is  trying to learn from somebody that has tackled the task.  It might be helpful to him if you cited a passage in CA's help section that explains how to achieve what he wants. 

On a separate note,  the OP should post the plan. 

The most valuable competence is that which you earn for yourself as I said above. I need not feel compelled to do these sorts of things for others. If he would post a copy of his plan file I would be happy to look at it but without that, as you suggested one could only then guess at what the OP knows or does not know and Life is way too short for that kind of wasted time and communication.

Posters need to keep in mind that the rest of us are living our own and our families lives and it is incumbent upon forum posters to be clear with their questions and problems when they ask for help so the helpers do not then have to guess at their exact meaning and significance.

DJP

10 hours ago, wnschoen said:

Is there an option to simplify this?

Yes, study your reference manual sections on "Framing" and "Framing Defaults". Then practice applying that specific data to your construction problem. Once you get it as close as is possible using auto-generated framing tools you manually adjust that result to precisely what you want.

DJP

Sheeees........., to put it simply.

The Op wants the under framing without the roofing materials.

I think the solution is to create a separate roof for the under framing and specify it with just a framing layer and no finish layers.   

• Upvote 2

I added a Plan File showing the condition.  I use the most current Chief Version and am about as advanced as it gets in usability.  I was not trying to cause an issue, I know I can manually change the framing, etc.

The other workaround solution is to have another roof plane for the 'overlapping' condition.  Problem with the workarounds is it has a tendency to throw off elevation details/renderings.

Just was asking if I was missing a simple solution.  OR should this be part of the Program in the future?

By the way I kind of echo glennw's comment... sheeess..  !  I appreciate the help, but honestly don't want to cause anyone any problems.  Most of the time if I get to posting something here the answer is 'Chief does not do that' - which I think is the answer here.

Thank you for everyone's time.

Nate

ShedRoofon TopofGable.plan

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, glennw said:

Sheeees........., to put it simply.

The Op wants the under framing without the roofing materials.

I think the solution is to create a separate roof for the under framing and specify it with just a framing layer and no finish layers.   

This is probably the best solution even though the framing will be broken at the roof joins the roofing materials has a chance to be correct.

From a practical application standpoint it will obviously be constructed as the OP has shown in the 2nd view with the main plane extending down to the wall line.

Overfaming sheds or valleys is a very common practice that I often edit manually in CA to get the final look into want.

I am guessing most other users do as well.

I don't know that I would ever find the need to do a whole lot more than edit the framing and confirm the roofing manualy.

Perhaps in the future we could have the option to adjust individual layers of the roof structure by creating partial breaks or in section?

I guess that is my biggest point... the material list would be great if it were accurate...  as it is, we take .pdfs of our drawings then use PlanSwift to do material takeoffs.  No biggie, but it would be pretty cool.

Thank you.