Create attractive 2D plans like Vectorworks?

ED-209

That's how I fixed the issue as well, but the odd...or funny...or, well....I didn't do anything in that plan set except open the floor plan to add a couple framing notes.That was all. I never opened an elevation, or camera view, or anything of the sort, just 2 framing notes and had to update the elevations.

Wow....... Vector Works has come a long way since I looked at it last. Gorgeous stuff being presented over there for sure. I'm thinking its as much the artist behind the mouse as it is the program helping him along. If I had time I'd be tempted to download the free version to play with it.

Funny thing....it sort of reminds me of pencil and pen drawings back in college. Our professors would push the quality of lineweight , clarity and detail as much as the content of the drawing...don't get me started on text!!  This program seems to bring back that side of things where a spectacular drawing in of itself can easily get the information intended across.

Seems a little heavy handed for the residential work I do and I imagine the learning curve is a serious investment in time, but the results speak for themselves.

I'm sure they're just as many guys on the vw forum moaning about it and it's short comings, the grass is never greener.......

• 11 months later...

This is only a year late, but here's a portion of my version of a 'pretty drawing' in a reasonable time frame. It takes several steps, and a combination of formal drawings, camera views, and transparent fills, and, oh yeah,  not one of Chief's default settings for anything.

image.thumb.png.af39b6ca1d1ce984ab1f692f12933bde.png

On 3/14/2017 at 11:36 AM, BryceEngstrom said:

I don't have any experience with Vectorworks, but all of these illustrations could be approximated pretty close in Chief, and not take a tremendous amount of time. You just have to think about the approach differently.

I agree a freehand/lasso tool would be a great addition.

approximated is the oppertative word Bryce. 

On 3/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, BryceEngstrom said:

I was a design-build contractor for 14 years before becoming a full time architect, and have been using Chief for almost 20 years now,  so I am well aware of Chief's priorities and limitations.  I do a lot of custom residences (5 currently on the boards and 2 in construction) and a fair number of commercial projects.  That said, I think it's been shown on this forum time and time again that most of the limitations come from the user and not from the software.  I wish I had time to do a full comparison presentation, but I don't, and this kind of thing is not something I am asked to do often so I don't have something in the can to show.  I would normally just hire a landscape architect to do it.

I agree with you to a point, BUT it would be nice to doo presentation dwg like VW.  do you agree

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, ED-209 said:

Basically, I want some decent-looking trees and hedges that show up in a 3D bird's eye view. I don't want to use generic green spheres.

make some new CAD blocks, the added transparency to fills a few versions back helps  a lot. (Apologies, I misread the 3D as 2D)

landscape.JPG