Create attractive 2D plans like Vectorworks?

ED-209

I still use Vectorworks occasionally for commercial work.  There is nothing that comes close for making pretty drawing.  VW is a unique integration of BIM CAD, and Illustrator-type features  There are very nice transparency controls for layers as well as viewports in arbitrary shapes.  

I'm interested to see how other's respond.

Your might try exporting to Sketchup where you can get shadows in plan view and full control of the color palette in Layout.

A lot of that can be done in Chief using Solid Color Fills with about 50% transparency.  In some cases the Terrain Features can be used because they are already Polyline Objects that can have a fill.  In other cases you would have to create the closed Polylines.

Vectorworks is very unique in mixing illustration graphics with BIM.  Can you create something your client would like in Chief - yes.  Can you create as nice of drawings in Chief as you can Vectorworks....nope.  If you mixed a lot of Photoshop editing with Chief you could bridge the gap.

Here are a couple drawings I've done in VW.  You can really get a hand-drawn look digitally i've not been able to get with other apps.

skyline_way_landscaping.PNG

nantucket_ele.PNG

lr_surround.PNG

fp11.PNG

• Upvote 1

One really useful feature in Vectorworks is the ability to create a polyline with a lasso control.  Just draw roughly around the area and the polyline snaps to each outside line within the demised area.  It takes about 5 seconds to get beautiful object lines for elevations and details that really pop.

I don't have any experience with Vectorworks, but all of these illustrations could be approximated pretty close in Chief, and not take a tremendous amount of time. You just have to think about the approach differently.

I agree a freehand/lasso tool would be a great addition.

5 hours ago, Griffin said:

One really useful feature in Vectorworks is the ability to create a polyline with a lasso control.  Just draw roughly around the area and the polyline snaps to each outside line within the demised area.  It takes about 5 seconds to get beautiful object lines for elevations and details that really pop.

I agree, that is a great tool.  There are about 10 simple 2D tools which i think Chief could add very easily that would allow us to finish plans with a little more polish and help with concept work.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2017 at 9:16 AM, ED-209 said:

Hi,

Is is possible to create nice-looking site plans (bird's eye view) as one can in Vectorworks? I've attached an image to show you what I'd like to do.

Thanks,

Ed

VW1.jpg

VW2.png

Simple answer - maybe. But I would rather stick things in my eyes than try and use Chief's very poor 2D tools to try and re-create the look you posted.

On 3/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

The big problem is that Chief doesn't have gradient fills. Vectorworks creates really wonderful 2D drawings that Chief should take note of. It's time, IMO, for Chief to focus on 2D improvements.

Absolutely agree.  I noticed the same thing.  The only thing I see as being truly unique and not easily reproduced with Chief about those drawings is the fills.  That of course is to say nothing of some of the extra tools Vectorworks has that makes controlling and manipulating the linework, fills, and hatch patterns so much easier and more productive.  I'm with you and Johnny on this...it's about time we see an improvement in some of these areas. 

On 3/14/2017 at 11:36 AM, BryceEngstrom said:

I don't have any experience with Vectorworks, but all of these illustrations could be approximated pretty close in Chief, and not take a tremendous amount of time. You just have to think about the approach differently.

I agree a freehand/lasso tool would be a great addition.

Bryce,

The main problem is simple; Chief was created for builders, Vector works was created for Architects. Very different types. I don't mean to disparage and start a war. I grew up in a contractors house then became an architect. Two similar but radically different worlds.

Those of us that work on commercial projects and custom residences are usually frustrated with the short comings of chief.

1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

Chief was created for builders, Vector works was created for Architects.

Those of us that work on commercial projects and custom residences are usually frustrated with the short comings of chief.

I agree with this.  Completing tasks in Vectorworks is more straightforward and an extension of a designer/architect.  Chief is like learning to dance with a partner, and feels like you are working through someone with their own mindset.  In Vectorworks you just do it, in Chief you ask it to be done (nicely).

That said, there isn't anything on the market so suited for residential so here we all are.

• Upvote 1

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM, HumbleChief said:

Simple answer - maybe. But I would rather stick things in my eyes than try and use Chief's very poor 2D tools to try and re-create the look you posted.

You can create some thing close to that using water colour Mode. But a full functionality like those would be great.

2d presentation.jpg

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:16 PM, ED-209 said:

Hi,

Is is possible to create nice-looking site plans (bird's eye view) as one can in Vectorworks? I've attached an image to show you what I'd like to do.

Thanks,

Ed

VW1.jpg

VW2.png

Not perfect, but the look of the second image can also be close using tech illustration mode, here is my go with little atweeking of cool and warm blends .

2d presentation tech ill-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

You can create some thing close to that using water colour Mode. But a full functionality like those would be great.

2d presentation.jpg

Yup, water color with line drawing over top is my go to presentation approach. 

With X9 it's actually a pleasure to use, and I'm always taken aback at how nice they look, and then you print them and they're even nicer!

sorry, I'm a Chief fan. Spent/wasted too much time over the years with Softplan and Archicad to know the grass is not greener...

9 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I like these, Yusuf, especially the first one you posted. How much "tweaking" did these take?

Hey Ridge

Actually forgot the original setting and started from scratch after you posted the question. Took the time time to post this. Minutes, but once you find the setting that works it must be very short time I hope. Here is the setting screen shpt.

tweak setting.png

What Yusuf did was great for Chief - but the differences with Vectorworks go far deeper.  Full control over things like Hardscapes which make these types of drawings precise and realistic.  In Chief you'd basically have to manually place each paver/stone in location after custom making the shape.

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

What Yusuf did was great for Chief - but the differences with Vectorworks go far deeper.  Full control over things like Hardscapes which make these types of drawings precise and realistic.  In Chief you'd basically have to manually place each paver/stone in location after custom making the shape.

This is very interesting one. Thanks for sharing Johnny.

from a "laymans" observation only

as I couldn't begin to do either one

the Vectorworks versions look "professional"

the Chief versions don't

If I were to do a project my partner would do a chief version

and we would hope the client would be satisfied

if Chief were to be enhanced someday - we would know the client would be satisfied

Lew

On 3/18/2017 at 9:11 PM, yusuf-333 said:

Hey Ridge

Actually forgot the original setting and started from scratch after you posted the question. Took the time time to post this. Minutes, but once you find the setting that works it must be very short time I hope. Here is the setting screen shpt.

tweak setting.png

Thanks, Yusuf. I am going to try this using your settings as a good starting point.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:23 AM, raltd9245 said:

Bryce,

The main problem is simple; Chief was created for builders, Vector works was created for Architects. Very different types. I don't mean to disparage and start a war. I grew up in a contractors house then became an architect. Two similar but radically different worlds.

I was a design-build contractor for 14 years before becoming a full time architect, and have been using Chief for almost 20 years now,  so I am well aware of Chief's priorities and limitations.  I do a lot of custom residences (5 currently on the boards and 2 in construction) and a fair number of commercial projects.  That said, I think it's been shown on this forum time and time again that most of the limitations come from the user and not from the software.  I wish I had time to do a full comparison presentation, but I don't, and this kind of thing is not something I am asked to do often so I don't have something in the can to show.  I would normally just hire a landscape architect to do it.