Roof (ically) Challenged (Using X8)

SketchArchitect

Hello -

This roof has been the bane of my existence.  I could sure use some pointers on how to  approach this.

This was my first roof last year.  I botched it pretty well.  I've had to come back to it and get it right... still botching it with fervor.

1) This time I tried to cut out the roof over the bedroom using the polyline tool to allow for the gable.  But after that, I'm kinda lost as you can see.  ugh

2) I don't know how to address the pitch issues and there's no indicator on the original plans on the pitch on the main roof.  I opted for 6/12 but that pinches the eave area of the front of the house and 4/12 looks right in front but doesn't allow for a 10/12 gable as indicated in the plan.

3) Finally, I can't figure out how to put the gable area over the porch and line it all up with the eaves that are technically from the roof on the 2nd floor.

Guidance would be appreciated.  I'm about a year old on this product now..   much to learn, this one has.

Doers 2017.plan

Klam - Doers.pdf

Edited by SketchArchitect
Clarification On Version

18 hours ago, ShaneK said:

OK...  Thank you!  I'll never kick a gift horse in the teeth! 

Couple questions:

1) Did you work with the roof I had?  Or did you delete it and recreate all manually?

2) Did you do the top "dormer" by opening the roof plane and ballooning the walls through the exiting roof plane?

Would have been great to watch you do this.

Thanks Again.

1 minute ago, solver said:

Chief has helpful videos if you have SSA, if not, try their YouTube channel.

Did this answer your question?

It was, thank you.  I have SSA... I find the videos great for general concept.  But I saw nothing for how to tackle this project.  I'm still cutting my teeth on the tools here...  I do more design and layout work.  Almost anything outside an autoroof build is almost always a 10 hour day for the roof alone.   Practice.