X9, Windows 7 issues

Tim-Grindlay

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has these issues with X9.1.0.47x64 (and previous X9),  I did a quick search in the forum,  nothing leapt out at me...

If I am in a section / elevation or camera view,  and I go back to a floor plan view,  (either using the window tool bar tab, or by using the screens tabs),

I get a dialogue box flashing off and on,  too quickly to read,  then more often than not,  it will take me to the layout file instead of the floor plan..

sometimes it flashes for a long time, once I even had to force a shut down,   sometimes it works ok...,   it is happening with all plan and layout files,  not one specific file...

It has been suggested that it is my graphics card,  but I believe that it isn't...

The other issue is that if I am working in an annotation set,  and go in and edit one of the anno set settings,  then when i save and exit the db,  it automatically swaps me over to a "Using Active Defaults" anno set...  I just went back to X8 to see if that happened there,  it doesn't do it in X8,

thanks for any advice

Tim

Not seen that problem but a few other odd things, which CA are saying attributed to graphics card. I have not had a chance to check now that I have updated drivers.

I am using a GT660 card so very similar. I have glimpsed a message that is only there for a split second.

interesting,  its not an expensive graphics card,  but it's never had any problem with anything in the past...  or anything else now...

its just odd that it will direct me to the layout file when I am trying to get to the plan file floor plan...   I wouldn't have thought a graphics card would cause that...

it swaps between everything else ok...

1 hour ago, Tim-Grindlay said:

The other issue is that if I am working in an annotation set,  and go in and edit one of the anno set settings,  then when i save and exit the db,  it automatically swaps me over to a "Using Active Defaults" anno set...  I just went back to X8 to see if that happened there,  it doesn't do it in X8,

I am on X9, build 19.0.3.50x64, using Win 7 Pro and see this also. It is very frustrating when I go to add some text, for example, after modifying an anno set. Upon exiting it puts me in the Active Default anno set and I later find it has put my text on the wrong layer. My video card is weaker than yours but just can't upgrade it right now. It ran X8 fine but X9 really strains it.

thanks for the reply,  they are both frustrating issues,

I was sort of hoping it wasn't a graphics card issue,  it was no problem with any previous version,

one other issue I've had is sometimes if I select an object,  then use the active layer display to lock the layer,  I get a db saying a serious error has occurred,  I close the db,  but it keeps coming back,  so far every time I have had to close chief down and restart it (it only happens sometimes,  and I think mainly with the walls normal and rooms layers )

8 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

It is very frustrating when I go to add some text, for example, after modifying an anno set. Upon exiting it puts me in the Active Default anno set and I later find it has put my text on the wrong layer

That I don't think is a video card issue? I get the same with a 980m which at the time I started using X9 was the most powerful mobile card available. It is annoying, I've almost gotten in the habit of immediately selecting the annoset I was in-went so far as to add a second instance of the annoset drop down to the bottom of my screen.

The other issue I don't get so have no idea.

12 hours ago, Tim-Grindlay said:

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has these issues with X9.1.0.47x64 (and previous X9),  I did a quick search in the forum,  nothing leapt out at me...

If I am in a section / elevation or camera view,  and I go back to a floor plan view,  (either using the window tool bar tab, or by using the screens tabs),

I get a dialogue box flashing off and on,  too quickly to read,  then more often than not,  it will take me to the layout file instead of the floor plan..

sometimes it flashes for a long time, once I even had to force a shut down,   sometimes it works ok...,   it is happening with all plan and layout files,  not one specific file...

It has been suggested that it is my graphics card,  but I believe that it isn't...

thanks for any advice

Tim, In X9 the only thing I have noticed when changing any views, is that if I try to change the view by going to the top window tab (at the top toolbar) and scrolling down to change the views, my laptop hangs up for a long time. If I go to the tab that shows what's open and click on whatever view I want to see, it changes very fast. I'm now trying to get in the habit of changing views by selecting the tab that's open instead of going to the top toolbar>window tab>change view. This was not a problem in previous versions no matter how I changed views. Now that I know how to change the view quickly, I need To train my mind a little differently. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Never seen this before.  My only guess is that it is some kind of system or maybe install problem.  You could try an uninstall and then reinstall to see if you get different behavior.  If that does not help, I would recommend that you contact tech support for more help.

I can't think of anything that was changed regarding active defaults or annotation sets to cause them to work differently then X8.

You do understand that if you change any of your currently active defaults so that they no longer match what is in your saved annotation set, the toolbar button will automatically change to say "Using Active Defaults" instead of your annotation set?  Also, if you modify one of your saved annotation sets to use different defaults, then your currently active defaults will again not match your annotation set and will display "Using Active Defaults".

This is normal and correct behavior but can sometimes be confusing for people. 

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

You are still using the beta.  You should update to the release version.

I didn't update due to the issues some seem to have been having when the last upgrade came out. Too busy to deal with any more frustration at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Also, if you modify one of your saved annotation sets to use different defaults, then your currently active defaults will again not match your annotation set and will display "Using Active Defaults".

Thanks, Dermot. I "think" this may have been my issue.

edit:

And you are right; it is confusing, at least in the way I view annosets. :)

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

I can't think of anything that was changed regarding active defaults or annotation sets to cause them to work differently then X8.

Just double checked this-in X8-

changed a few locate objects in the dimensions default-no change to annoset listed.

Then changed layer for text-no change in annoset listed.

Do the same in X9 and it becomes "using active defaults"-not even clear how it decides what that means since it doesn't use the default that was active before the change? or the edited version.

In any case it is not the same behavior as in x8

Just double checked this-in X8-

changed a few locate objects in the dimensions default-no change to annoset listed.

Then changed layer for text-no change in annoset listed.

Do the same in X9 and it becomes "using active defaults"-not even clear how it decides what that means since it doesn't use the default that was active before the change? or the edited version.

In any case it is not the same behavior as in x8

I am not getting this behavior so obviously you and I are doing something different.  Maybe you could record a video or be more detailed by giving me the exact steps that you are using to make these changes.  For example, how are you changing your dimension defaults?  Through the Active Defaults dialog, by double-clicking on the dimension tool, or by going through the Default Settings dialog?  I tried using all 3 and I did not get the behavior you described.

Thanks for the video Mark.  This looks like a bug to me.  I was not using the Annotation Sets dialog like you were so I did not see this problem.  In the future, I would encourage you to report these kinds of problems directly to our tech support team.

On 11/03/2017 at 4:31 AM, tommy1 said:

Tim, In X9 the only thing I have noticed when changing any views, is that if I try to change the view by going to the top window tab (at the top toolbar) and scrolling down to change the views, my laptop hangs up for a long time. If I go to the tab that shows what's open and click on whatever view I want to see, it changes very fast. I'm now trying to get in the habit of changing views by selecting the tab that's open instead of going to the top toolbar>window tab>change view. This was not a problem in previous versions no matter how I changed views. Now that I know how to change the view quickly, I need To train my mind a little differently. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Hi Tommy, 

I'm getting the issue either way I change between screens,  either from the window toolbar or the screen tabs

On 11/03/2017 at 5:01 AM, Dermot said:

Never seen this before.  My only guess is that it is some kind of system or maybe install problem.  You could try an uninstall and then reinstall to see if you get different behavior.  If that does not help, I would recommend that you contact tech support for more help.

Hi Dermot,

thanks,  I'll uninstall and reinstall, and see if that works,  it'll be a couple of days before I have time to properly do it,  I'll post with the results

On 11/03/2017 at 8:55 AM, MarkMc said:

Want to torture me eh? the sound is bad-will try to improve if I ever get to it.

Annosets_edit.wmv

Hi Mark,  excellent video,  that's exactly what I was referring to (and the sounds seems ok to me)  (I didn't realise I had it playing on automatic loop,  so took me awhile to realise why you were showing the same thing over again..)

Hi Dermot,

see attached images,  I selected a wall,  and used the Active Layer Display Options to lock the layer,   I got this error message,  now if I hit ok, or try to close the error dbx,  it will just keep coming back,  only way I can find to get rid of it, is to close Chief down,

it does give enough time between it coming back to save and close the files normally,  without forcing a shut down,

It is happening with several files,  but not all the time,   and seems to mostly happen when locking Walls Normal layer or Rooms layer..

I just closed Chief down,  went back to exactly where I was, followed the same steps, and it happened again...

Error message when locking walls 2.pdf

Error message when locking walls.pdf

I've just uninstalled Chief, and reinstalled from the current version (not by installing and updating the previous version),

the problem of the null pointer error message when locking the walls normal layer is still occurring, 

the other issue of swapping between windows is still happening to at least some extent,  it might take a few days to see if it is exactly as it was