Structural Engineer in CA sought

marknohr

1st order is that I'm looking for a structural engineer licensed in CA. There is an unbelievable amount of building going on in the SF bay area so getting on anyone local's calendar has proven a challenge.

2nd order is to get some upfront guidance on expanding a room out onto an existing 4' cantilevered balcony. The plan is to double up the existing 2X10 16OC joists. I've heard 3:1 and 2:1 floor joist ratios as rules of thumb and want to be sure as this may impact the direction we take on the plans. Again, looking for a CA engineer to advise.

Can anyone help me locate a resource for this?

If it is anywhere near the SF area then the seismic zone is D-sub-whatever, and if it is a balcony that means the second floor at least. If so then engineering is required and prescriptive is out. The engineer needs to design, calculate and stamp his/her structural plans.

The balcony was probably designed for 50 lbs live load and if the room is a bedroom then the live load only needs to be 40 lbs. if I remember correctly (maybe 30 for bedroom and 40 for other rooms).

Andy.