Bay / Bow Windows - exploding

HomesByDesign

As it was said in another post "it's been a long time since I used the auto bay / bow window" but wasn't there a day when one could create an automatic Bay / Bow window and explode it allowing one to adjust the features manually?  I think the last time I used this function was in 2010 :-).

R.

1 hour ago, Dennis_Gavin said:

just click on the window that you want to change and hit tab key.

Ah, it's just that simple,

But I'm with Joey, we need better control (and others have said it as well),  Did I also see that corner boards are an issue?  I can't seem to add them.

I'll build her manually in the meantime,

R,

1 hour ago, HomesByDesign said:

Did I also see that corner boards are an issue?

I posted a short time back about this; didn't get any responses. When I use an automatic floating dormer (same principle) my manually added corner boards do not "stick" very long. They will attach but will vanish after a short time. Never figured it out.

3 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I posted a short time back about this; didn't get any responses. When I use an automatic floating dormer (same principle) my manually added corner boards do not "stick" very long. They will attach but will vanish after a short time. Never figured it out.

That's interesting Mike as the commercial building I referenced in another thread had the same corner board problem as you mentioned but not on all corners, just one, so I made a polyline solid for that corner.

It's funny, in using this fine program for all these years I've discovered a person (me) can spend a lot of time on a fix when there's an easier way out, like the polygon solid I did in the commercial building corner board,  Also like I did with the 3d text for the commercial building, it took me hours to figure it out but now that I solved that problem I'm good from this point forward :-) (provided I don't lose my notes).

Ron

Good day,
We are working on a project which has a large window seat / bay Window which extrudes / cantilevers on second floor over a garage.  The window seat cantilevers out about 2'-0" from the room and is a few feet over the garage roof.  It should not touch any wall below.  As soon as we close the walls of this "room" it adopts the garage floor and ceiling information completely destroying our design intent.  We have tried all kinds of different ways of doing this with no progress.  The drawing I attached has no walls on the window seat which is something new since the last time I opened it (the walls were there!)   Can someone please help?

I attached the file and a concept drawing of what our boss wants.

Thanks,
Sam H. 

6798_BELVEDERE_(deck_removed).plan

Concept.pdf

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If you are using a "Bay Window" - in the dbx select "Has Raised Floor" and set the values there for height and floor thickness.  This will preclude it from going down thru the Garage Roof.

Of course....you won't be able to have 5 independent windows across there if you use this tool.

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If you are using a "Bay Window" - in the dbx select "Has Raised Floor" and set the values there for height and floor thickness.  This will preclude it from going down thru the Garage Roof.

Thanks for the reply.  We were trying not to use the BAY WINDOW for that very reason.  We can't modify the actual window units in the Bay Window.  

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

In that case, simply open the room dbx and set the floor height and structure thickness.  The walls shouldn't extend below that.

Tried that too.  But the ceiling and walls in the garage come up and messes with our roof and ceiling in the garage.  

As an experiment we tried making the Window Seat "Room" smaller in width so that  no 2nd floor wall extended over the garage wall.  This worked but of course it is not our design intent...  The walls on the second floor are affected by the first floor even though they don't touch...   

You will need to do a bit of manual work.

1. Edit the Doorway to raise the bottom - or use a Window Pass Thru.
  2. Drag the Roof of the Garage back over to the Main Wall
  3. Create a PSolid to fill the Wall that's not showing in 3D (create it in an elevation view so you can get the shape right).
  4. Create a Slab to fill the missing floor - you could actually check "No Floor below this Room" and use a Slab for the entire area.

I only did this very quickly and there are obviously a number of things that will need adjusting (structural settings, heights, moldings, roof pitches, etc.) but it was all done automatically except that I had to drag the roof back above the window seat after the auto build. 

I really didn't do anything special.  Just adjusted a few minor settings.  Anyway, like I said, you'll have to perfect it but take a look at the attached plan and see if you can figure it out from there...

Bumpout.jpg

Bumpout.plan