X9 changing ceiling height

TimSchrock

Got a strange one here. I go to change the ceiling height in one room, and the ceilings for the whole floor change. For this case, I can build a hole in the ceiling, but I know there are other cases where I cannot do that. What am I missing?

Tim,

I assume that you are trying to raise the ceiling height in one room.  When you do that it pushes the floor above up.  That results in the other rooms below that floor having a higher ceiling because of what's in the Structure definition for those rooms.  The correct methodology is to change the Ceiling Structure or Floor Structure above to provide the extra thickness between Floors.

Tim,

Following along with what Joe said, CA uses ceiling and floor heights as a large part of how it developes the model you are creating.

Even small changes to ceiling heights can have a big effect on the areas above.

Try and consider the real world application of how raising that lid will work with the floor above and it will help you understand the way CA sees the model.

Well, the real-world application didn't have this case in the field. What I'd forgotten was that I still had a second floor in the model over this room where the existing conditions this room is only a 1-story section. This case is solved.

• Upvote 1