Stacked Gable Wall Surfaces

dacorn

Go to solution Solved by Larry_Sweeney,

Hi All,

I am creating a stacked gable on a 20 foot wall, thus I have to create that manually, no big deal, however I want to have a different surface on the wall than the rest of the house. No problem to change the wall by cutting the wall, however I can not get the surface to change on the attic wall under my stacked gable.  Secondly I want to create the gable return on the stacked gable, the auto return setting will not add the return to the stacked gable.  I am sure I am looking too deep into both issues, if someone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave Acorn

post-1743-0-56296500-1403459119_thumb.jpg

select the attic wall in plan or a camera view then go that wall's dialog box-materials tab and change the material for the exterior wall layer of it. In plan view you toggle up to the <A> level to select attic walls, or just in any camera view select the wall, then open it'd dialog box.

DJP

Hi David,

Yes I tried that however it changes the material for the entire gable, I only want to change the material on the stacked gable. In my photo I want the grey to be only on the same section not then entire gable.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Regards,

Dave

1.Sometimes CA won't build a auto return for whatever reason. Just build it manually. I usually always build mine manually. By doing that I have the option to give the return a different pitch than the rest of the roof.   2. Put the stacked gable on it's own layer and then changed the material.

Hi Larry

Thanks for the response, yes I think its best I will just make the returns manually, I like the idea of changing the pitch, thanks for that. 

For the stacked gable I did move this to its own layer but that didn't seem to change the ability to change the exterior wall material on the stacked gable. I may be missing something here I think. I didn't join the roof planes on the stacked gable, but I wasn't sure if that was requited. It is like Chief doesn't know the stacked gable exists as it only allows me to change the material on the entire gable, or only on the part of the wall I cut on the attic wall.  Perhaps if you can walk me through this that would allow me to see the entire picture. 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Dave