Build boxout wall under roof eave / soffit

ArtisanDeck

Greetings! Just when I think i know what i am doing I learn I know very little at all. ;)

I am trying to build a 1' out x 9' wide exterior wall that is under the 1' eave of the roof. I don't want it to have a roof of its own. I have attached a picture of the wall i am trying to build. Can someone help me?

When using the bay window tool there is an option to build under existing roof plane. I figure there would be something similar for this but haven't found it yet.

I edited the three walls that make up the boxout and changed the roof overhang to 0" but when I build the roof it still builds then 12" as thats the default for the rest of the roof.

This is a common architectural detail, I'm surprised it isn't easier.

Thanks for looking,

Charlie

Keck boxout.JPG

Casey & Jessica Keck Deck X7.plan

Yep, ended up just manually deleting unwanted roof plans and extending down main roof plane. I guess I will just do this again when I auto build my roof over the covered deck.

Still hoping someone has a more legitimate way of building these but I understand a lot of what is built with Chief is by "hacking" it manually.

Thank you for your help rlackore and solver!

6 minutes ago, glennw said:

Create a separate room for the bump out with an invisible wall between the main room and the bump out.

I do not think I agree with this.  I do not think the wall should be invisible so you will need to put an opening in wall  (in lieu of invisible wall),  use a door or a window opening to create the pass thru in lieu of using Glenn's invisible wall.  (BTW,  I am not considering the auto roof build)

Excuse me while I go out into the parking lot to fight this out with the Great Glenn Woodward.......

.....   nuts,  he took a cheap shot and gave me a black eye.......  

Scott,

OK, I have the boxing gloves on.

You did not explain why an invisible wall is the way to go

53 minutes ago, dshall said:

(BTW,  I am not considering the auto roof build)

And why aren't you considering the auto roof build - you should be!

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I also use an opening b/c, what about the wall above the opening, if invisible, you won't see the wall above the opening , outside or inside depending on the box out  condition

Perry,

If it is an invisible wall, there is no opening and no wall above the opening..duh.

This is not a bay or box window with different floor or ceiling heights - it's part of a room.

Perry,

Yes, my mistake.

The ceiling height needs to be lower or raking.

I will now take my bat and ball and go home!!!

I use this method because I don't do framing and I don't do interior views, except in special cases.

I think it is also the best way to do auto roofs - which I do n 90% of my work.

8 hours ago, rlackore said:

...alternatively define the bump-out main wall as Roof>Extend Slope Downward, and the bump-out side walls Roof>Full Gable Wall, then manually adjust the overhang.

roof.PNG

Yep.  I think this is how I would do it.  Even if you need to make changes later.  Its only a couple clicks to auto-build roof again and a few seconds to drag the overhang back again.