Layout question (printing D size and letter size on same layout but use different title block on letter size)

DianeP

I have my layout complete with all the various views from the different plans that need to be represented.  I have also put together the brochure page for this plan, but it needs to have a different title block because it will be printed on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and doesn't need all the other information that is contained in the normal title block.  I want to have the brochure on the same layout as the other sheets so that if the plan is changed the brochure will also be changed and be printed at the same time.  I know I will have to change the print setup for the brochure page and change it back to print the other sheets.  

The attached picture shows what I am trying to do. The blue arrow is the boarder I would like to use.  Would be so nice if you could select the view to be printed, as you can in AutoCAD.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?   Thanks!!!

brochure question.PNG

Yes I think Joe does his layouts that way.  I set one up but have not fully tested it yet.  You can have a second size title block/border on a separate layout layer set but you will have to go back and change the paper size and layer set to make a separate PDF print file.  The other option would be to have a second template page but you would still need to change the paper size I think to print.  Unless your printer has a way to crop.  It might be worth asking.  Hope I understood the question correctly because your example looks a bit large for 8.5 x 11 .

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I think Joe does his layouts that way.  I set one up but have not fully tested it yet.  You can have a second size title block/border on a separate layout layer set but you will have to go back and change the paper size and layer set to make a separate PDF print file.  The other option would be to have a second template page but you would still need to change the paper size I think to print.  Unless your printer has a way to crop.  It might be worth asking.  Hope I understood the question correctly because your example looks a bit large for 8.5 x 11 .

Thanks Chopsaw,  I think you are on to what I am looking for to solve my problem.  I will go see if I can figure out the layer set.   Perhaps Joe will chime in to help, if he sees this post.  

I have the D set up in the template that I used for this project.  I have not made the 8.5 x 11, yet.   Your talking about setting up a new layer set on the .layout, right?  I am currently looking for video/ articles to help me figure out how to go about doing this.  Thanks for your help!

Yes in the layer set if you want everything on page 0 but you can take another blank page and make it a template as well.  Not sure which would be best for you.  Not so sure you will find a video unless Scott made one.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes in the layer set if you want everything on page 0 but you can take another blank page and make it a template as well.  Not sure which would be best for you.  Not so sure you will find a video unless Scott made one.

K.  I  made the new layer set for 8.5 x 11.  I know how to make the template. Can you tell me how I can make a new blank page on the same layout and add the template to that page?  I guess I would go to page 0 and insert a page.... no that can't be right because it would have the D size title block.   Probably will figure out, but a little lost right now.  

2 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

I have my layout set up with layers which contain the various page size elements. I have the Drawings size, 8 1/2×11 vertiCal and horizontal.  11x17 vertical and horizontal.  Just hide or unaided layers as needed.

Oh man, that sounds awesome.  Can you give me any guidance on how you accomplished this task.  

Diane,  If you make a new blank page and then open the Layout Page Information DBX from the Project Browser by right clicking on that new page it gives you that option and also right below that is where you assign your other pages to use that template.  You can switch to None to draw your new border and then go back and reassign the page.

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Diane,  If you make a new blank page and then open the Layout Page Information DBX from the Project Browser by right clicking on that new page it gives you that option and also right below that is where you assign your other pages to use that template.

So I think what you are saying that I need to start with a new blank layout and set it up to have the various paper sizes I need and redo the title blocks for each size.   No way I can make the change on my current layout?

No you can add on to your current one if you like depending on how much it will be used or if your original is still something you would use without the new additions.  Or you could make a copy of your existing D layout and add to it.  Then if something goes wrong you still have the original even if you abandon or delete it later after you are sure you are happy with the new one. 

11 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No you can add on to your current one if you like depending on how much it will be used or if your original is still something you would use without the new additions.  Or you could make a copy of your existing D layout and add to it.  Then if something goes wrong you still have the original even if you abandon or delete it later after you are sure you are happy with the new one. 

41 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Diane,  If you make a new blank page and then open the Layout Page Information DBX from the Project Browser by right clicking on that new page it gives you that option and also right below that is where you assign your other pages to use that template.  You can switch to None to draw your new border and then go back and reassign the page.

A bit confused, but probably exacerbated because I am trying to figure this out with a tired brain, lol.   i have attached the options I get when I right click on the new page in the project browser.  Don't see the option you mention.

brochure question2.PNG

Yup you are almost there ....  Select the " Edit Page Information " option and you will get the DBX  I told you about earlier.  Sorry my mistake the "Edit Page Information" option takes you to the "Layout Page Information" DBX.  Or maybe that is a Chief bo bo.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yup you are almost there ....  Select the " Edit Page Information " option and you will get the DBX  I told you about earlier.

Yay!!! This will work for my needs right now.  I changed the page template option from default to none.  Thanks so much for helping me get through this, Chopsaw,   You Rock!!!!  Still need to learn the other information when I get more time.  Maybe someone will create a video,  hint, hint.

brochure question solved.PNG

Ok but I think the Idea is to draw your title block/border on that page and then put the other stuff on another page and link the two. If it is only one page, what you did will be fine just draw your border there and you won't need another template.

I can show you how to make your own videos if you like.

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok but I think the Idea is to draw your title block/border on that page and then put the other stuff on another page and link the two. If it is only one page, what you did will be fine just draw your border there and you won't need another template.

I can show you how to make your own videos if you like.

Thanks!!  I would like to learn how.   Maybe making a video of how to do this could be my first project.  Can't squeeze it in right now with my projects and a trip I have to make..... but would love to learn how.  Do you have a video on how to make videos?