A Simple Cad Line Drawing Question.

YellowfinDesign

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Could some please help me understand or guide me to the proper settings for the following problem.

I draw Face Frames for Custom Cabinetry. When I do so, I start by drawing a rectangle, dimension it, and then start drawing vertical and horizontal lines to suit. The problem I am having is; when I draw a line and it comes close to a perpendicular line, it does not snap or stop right at that line like it used to. I end up having to zoom in really close in order for me to make it right. Very Time Consuming!!

What am I missing?

I have everything checked under Preferences>Edit>Snap Properties>Object Snaps

Is there something else?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

I do some custom cabinetry too.  Most of the time I can get Chief to show the face frame how I want to build it without having to draw it using the cad tools.  I only use cad lines when I actually need to dimension to the face frame.  Have you tried turning on the layer for cabinet module lines while in an elevation view?

I do some custom cabinetry too.  Most of the time I can get Chief to show the face frame how I want to build it without having to draw it using the cad tools.  I only use cad lines when I actually need to dimension to the face frame.  Have you tried turning on the layer for cabinet module lines while in an elevation view?

I have not tried this, but I will look into it.

We use these drawings to produce shop drawings and they are part of our order process. The face frames are only one part of the drawing. There are many notes, dimensions, information about shelves, pull out trays, drawer box, hinges...etc. I have found that other than pencil and paper, drawing in CAD gives us the most flexibility as well as "proving" dimensions for custom cabinetry.

Having said that, I am always open to new ways of doing things do save time. Right now though, I just cant figure out why or what changed within this program in the last month that is causing my hair to fall out! lol

Thanks!

Mike

I've run into a sporadic problem with snapping cad lines and don't have the cause so can't help there.

I've taken to overshooting the line and going back and using the trim tool set to stickly mode- faster for me.

I don't have to spec the openings or frames for every cabinet but do have to do several per job. I recently switched to premier in part for just that, to speed it up. Once all is settled using models I copy specific cabinets to blank wall(s-sometimes use several walls to keep things separated) somewhere, group select them and uncheck "include in schedule" - change all doors and drawers to openings, then CAD detail from view, and snap dimensions. Leaves very little drawing required.

I typically call out drawer boxes and roll outs etc. if I need a visual I use a polyline.

IF a cabinet changes in the model I only have to copy that one on my "warehouse wall".

I have not figured out a foolproof way to signal that a cabinet has change in model but I recently got the cabinet schedule working the way I need (thanks forum). In the process of working with that I discovered that there are several fields in the items component list that will revert after any changes are made to a cabinet (comments for one) I'm looking at a way to use that as a signal that a cabinet's detail needs to be changed.

I've run into a sporadic problem with snapping cad lines and don't have the cause so can't help there.

I've taken to overshooting the line and going back and using the trim tool set to stickly mode- faster for me.

I don't have to spec the openings or frames for every cabinet but do have to do several per job. I recently switched to premier in part for just that, to speed it up. Once all is settled using models I copy specific cabinets to blank wall(s-sometimes use several walls to keep things separated) somewhere, group select them and uncheck "include in schedule" - change all doors and drawers to openings, then CAD detail from view, and snap dimensions. Leaves very little drawing required.

I typically call out drawer boxes and roll outs etc. if I need a visual I use a polyline.

IF a cabinet changes in the model I only have to copy that one on my "warehouse wall".

I have not figured out a foolproof way to signal that a cabinet has change in model but I recently got the cabinet schedule working the way I need (thanks forum). In the process of working with that I discovered that there are several fields in the items component list that will revert after any changes are made to a cabinet (comments for one) I'm looking at a way to use that as a signal that a cabinet's detail needs to be changed.

Mark, I do something very similar to what you are doing. I have a library full of standard cabinet sizes so I don't have to draw typical cabinets. We do, however, send to the shop, copies of ALL cabinet face frame drawings for every job, as to minimize common mistakes like door swings, extended stiles, finished interiors, etc.

Still messing with this X6 to get it right....Hopefully someone can answer my question.

Thanks!

Mike

Could some please help me understand or guide me to the proper settings for the following problem.

I draw Face Frames for Custom Cabinetry. When I do so, I start by drawing a rectangle, dimension it, and then start drawing vertical and horizontal lines to suit. The problem I am having is; when I draw a line and it comes close to a perpendicular line, it does not snap or stop right at that line like it used to. I end up having to zoom in really close in order for me to make it right. Very Time Consuming!!

What am I missing?

I have everything checked under Preferences>Edit>Snap Properties>Object Snaps

Is there something else?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Mike,

I drew a simple CAD box and vertical and horizontal lines and everything snaps just as it should, and how it seems it used to for you. Have not seen the behavior you're describing and can only duplicate it with snaps turned off. Sorry that's not much help but do you have a plan that exhibits what you're seeing?