Cannot turn dormer layer off

Chief16Designer

This looks like a bug.

If you turn on the Auto Dormers Layer then click on the dormer and explode it and change the layer of the walls for dormer to a new layer (call it "Normal Walls 2" or something) then you can turn off that layer in the plans view.

Andy.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AndyGump said:

This looks like a bug.

If you turn on the Auto Dormers Layer then click on the dormer and explode it and change the layer of the walls for dormer to a new layer (call it "Normal Walls 2" or something) then you can turn off that layer in the plans view.

Andy.

You are the man thank you  +1

Happened to me just the other day. Turned the auto dormer layer off and it would not disappear from the plan. Tried layer hider; same result. I ended up just moving it up to the attic level - it was on a 1st floor roof of a 2-story. We should not have to explode it first - why would  I use an auto dormer if that was the case?

The problem with auto dormers is that you can hide the "auto dormer" but the individual components are are their own layers and the only way to move those items to a new layer is to explode the auto dormer.  If you don't want to explode the auto dormer for some reason, either:

• Put the dormer onto a different floor (if possible), or...
  • Move everything else in the plan to a unique layer.  For example, the auto dormer walls should automatically be created on the Walls, Normal layer.  If you move all your other interior and exterior walls to a unique layer you can essentially make it so that your dormer walls are the only walls on the Walls, Normal Layer.  Therefore, turning off the Walls, Normal layer will turn off your dormer walls without having to explode your dormer.  If you want to make this a permanent addition to your workflow  you might even consider going into your template plan and renaming your Walls, Normal layer to something like Walls, Dormer, create a new Walls, Normal layer, and then change the layer setting for all new interior and exterior walls in your defaults to that new Walls, Normal layer. 

Michael,

Your wall solution sounds similar some issues I am have creating my Anno/Layers (Annosets that trigger Layer sets methodology). What I think I am discovering ( through ignorant experimentation) is the default system is somewhat limited is how I am attempting to create my Anno/Layers. I wondering if Chief had the same flexibility with the Defaults that we have in the new Room defaults all these issues could be customized. 

Example: there is only one dimension defaults Setting regardless of how I create an Anno/Layer. No matter how many unique sets I create they they are all controlled by the single default setting so, When I attempt to use one of my new sets, I have to change the Default setting at that time to realize the attributes I set in the Anno/Layer thereby adding an additional step and making my system somewhat worthless ( speed and efficency) and Similar to how I have to change the level when choosing my Anno/Layer. If I have an A3 Floor Plan Anno/Layer (with a unique dimension, arrow and text style). Then change to A3 Floor Plan electrical, the attributes do not change unless I change the Defaults too. 

If all all this sounds confusing it because 1) I don't fully understand how Chief works and have not set it up correctly; or 2) my Hypothisis is correct.

This is why I suggested to Scott Hall, Perry, et al, on the Cabinet Webinar we do a Webinar focusing on the Anno/Layer and SAM system methodology and work through the issues I, and others are having. A real-time brainstorming session may reveal how best to configure such a system or reveal limitation in Chief that could be corrected.

I very much want to succeed in creating this process so please, everyone chime in if this thread has merit worth further exploration or suggests and described the steps for an alternative work flow.

Respecfully, 

17 hours ago, mrscott said:

Example: there is only one dimension defaults Setting regardless of how I create an Anno/Layer. No matter how many unique sets I create they they are all controlled by the single default setting so, When I attempt to use one of my new sets, I have to change the Default setting at that time to realize the attributes I set in the Anno/Layer thereby adding an additional step and making my system somewhat worthless ( speed and efficency) and Similar to how I have to change the level when choosing my Anno/Layer. If I have an A3 Floor Plan Anno/Layer (with a unique dimension, arrow and text style). Then change to A3 Floor Plan electrical, the attributes do not change unless I change the Defaults too. 

Scott,

Huh?

I am not sure what you are saying here, but if I understand you correctly, you only have one dimension default which you have to use with each annoset?

Are you saying that when you change annosets, you can't get the dimension defaults to change?

You can set up as many Saved Dimension Defaults as you like and then use any one of them with any annoset.

Either you are missing something or I have misread your post (which is highly likely).

I believe that most of the confusion and problems you are having setting up your anno/layer sets is that you tried to go too complicated first up, and now you are trying to back pedal getting it to work.

IMHO it would have been easier to start simple and get more complicated as you went along.

Glenn,

Sorry if my post was confusing but It was based off of the Skype Session you and I had when creating a new dimension on one Anno/Layerset. You may recall the dimension defaulted to a different layer than what I set up in my Anno/LayerSet. I switched sets, changed levels, created a dimension and found it not the dimension I was expecting.